Why become a member? ×

'51 Precision?

Quilly

51 pickups are great IMHO. As you say they are very warm and thumpy, they also have fast attack and decay - which gives you the classic/vintage electric bass sound, i.e not a lot of sustain.

The difference between the single coil and the split coil is the fast attack and decay, the SC is less defined and can be noisy, but there are 51 pickups on the market now which are wound hum cancelling, so there is no noise - same as a split coil, retaining all the great characteristics of the SC.

51 p bass with nickel wound, half round of flatwound strings = best bass sound. 😀

• Like 1

I love the sound of the singlecoil P-Bass. "Spacious and warm, thumpy" - yes, that's a very good description. My absolute favourite is the '54-'56 version. It's got the small singlecoil pickup, fat maple neck with a soft V shape, and a contoured body, which makes it much more comfortable to play than the 1st iteration P-Bass with it's chunky slab body.

• Like 1

The Squier version is the classic vibe range, which is the top of the Squier range so are excellent.

The Thomann basses are amazing value, very well made, sound really good, the electrics let it down, but easily changed. Do a search for reviews on Google, they are rightly well liked, especially for the price. The best bass you can buy under £100 IMHO.

The Squiers have more of a standard neck, whereas the Thomann one's have a traditional thicker neck.

I'd say buy the Thomann, see if you like it, if you do you can generally sell them for close to what they cost new, and upgrade to the Squier or Fender!

• Like 3

On 17/09/2019 at 14:45, hooky_lowdown said:

The Squier version is the classic vibe range, which is the top of the Squier range so are excellent.

The Thomann basses are amazing value, very well made, sound really good, the electrics let it down, but easily changed. Do a search for reviews on Google, they are rightly well liked, especially for the price. The best bass you can buy under £100 IMHO.

The Squiers have more of a standard neck, whereas the Thomann one's have a traditional thicker neck.

I'd say buy the Thomann, see if you like it, if you do you can generally sell them for close to what they cost new, and upgrade to the Squier or Fender!

I just ordered the sunburst Harley Benton there. Every review I read was overwhelmingly positive. For €109 it looks like an absolute steal. I'll be sure to post a review when It arrives. 

Edited by Quilly
  • Like 2

I bought one of these a while ago and did a refinish on it. As others have said the electronics let it down a bit but pretty easy to install different pickups and wiring.

I was quite amazed at how great they are, not just for the price but in general. It's now one of my go to basses. Difficult to describe how it sounds but seems to work in every application that i've tried it in.

hopefully you'll have the same experience i did. looking forward to hearing what you think to it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, simon88wilson said:

I bought one of these a while ago and did a refinish on it. As others have said the electronics let it down a bit but pretty easy to install different pickups and wiring.

I was quite amazed at how great they are, not just for the price but in general. It's now one of my go to basses. Difficult to describe how it sounds but seems to work in every application that i've tried it in.

hopefully you'll have the same experience i did. looking forward to hearing what you think to it.

I’ve already been eyeing the bare knuckle pups 😂, when does it end 🤔

4 minutes ago, simon88wilson said:

Part of me wishes i went for the bareknuckles but i got a good deal on a quarter pounder which so far has been fine. i'll probably swap it out at some point as i can't help but tinker with things.

And to answer your question "when does it end?" = Never

The BN pups are 90% the cost of the bass 😂😂. It really is insane 

The stock Roswell pickup is very decent, I've read several reviews of peeps upgrading the pickup only to go back to stock. The BN pup may be deemed as an upgrade, but the difference will be minimal imho. The bigger difference will be in putting better electrics and capacitor in.

I suggest you set up the HB when it arrives to your taste, give it a month or two and then buy the BN pup if the stock isn't doing it for you! 😎

• Like 2

I've never had any problems with the pots or jack socket on my PB-50, 5 years down the line and still going strong 👍

Totally agree with Hooky regarding playing the PB first before deciding on a pickup swap. 1 alnico V single sounds pretty much like another. Bought an £8 single from China,just for the hell of it I recorded a scale using it and 4 other singles. Stuck the clips up on Talkbass and asked folks to guess which was the Chinese cheapie. From 600 views only 20 responded 😞 Funny thing was it was an even result,each pickup got 4 votes 🙂

Interesting thing about the Roswells is the pole pieces,it's the same Alnico V slugs as the Duncan 1/4lb'er. Don't think it's overwound to the same extent as the 1/4lb'er as it's a bit warmer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, simon88wilson said:

Cool build , aesthetically I would have preferred if it came with a proper tele style headstock but beggars can’t be choosers for €109 I guess. Cool that it has a big thick neck though . Exactly what I want . 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, simon88wilson said:

It’s not difficult to trim down to size. I also found that the maple looked very white on mine so sprayed it with a tint. 

If I can do it so can anyone!

Will probably leave is white and leave my manky sweaty fingers do the tinting !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kodiakblair said:

It's ten minutes work. I was 2 hours tops on this.

That included smoke/coffee breaks,taking photos and cleaning up.

Trust me...I’d balls this up. I’m looking forward to getting it...I’ll see then what needs doing. I reckon the only thing that will functionally let it down are the pots, wiring etc. the bridge and tuning machine heads look decent enough. I’m getting this bass purely for its tone and feel. I love that tone and while I really like splitcoils for their practicality there’s something unique about the sound from those kind of pickups. I’m not bothered enough about cosmetics to go at it with a jigsaw 

Edited by Quilly

Beware hidden quality issues on the PB50. I wanted to remove the scratchplate for a ‘Sting’ look, but when I did I found a big hole drilled into the body, plus tbe very apparent edge of the photo flame paper. Scratchplate back on... 

Oh, and the pots didn’t work either. 

Turned out ok in the end though.  

8609051D-9E76-460B-B1E5-63B8CC056238.jpeg

8EA898AB-E4F2-4AFD-81A7-F2B20CBC9F18.jpeg

1734C8FA-A5C5-484D-9325-EB2280BF4EAF.jpeg

Edited by BrunoBass