Why become a member? ×

What spares&etc to take?

dave moffat

DI box

Couple of spare tee shirts (nothing worse than driving home in a sweaty shirt you've just gigged in)

Can of deodorant (see above) 

A couple of yogurt bars or similar (for gigs where you have a long drive at the end of the night and you might not be able to get anything to eat) 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, T-Bay said:

Is this with or without the Scottish police approved apocalypse grab bag essentials?

This is the start of my apocalypse bag. My essentials you might say. After the essentials i'll throw in a torch and a tinfoil hat.

I'm a Scot and that was embarrassing to say the least. You'd think we could spend our own budget on something worthwhile. Maybe they know Boris might nuke us if we get independance and its just preperation. :facepalm::D

Dave

• Haha 3

I know that this thread has mostly run its course, but something occurred to me that is utterly key to this whole debate:

Test your spares periodically. Every now and then, use your backup bass/lead/amp/etc at a rehearsal just to make sure that they're all working. Spares that don't work are just useless extra weight you're carrying.

S.P.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stylon Pilson said:

I know that this thread has mostly run its course, but something occurred to me that is utterly key to this whole debate:

Test your spares periodically. Every now and then, use your backup bass/lead/amp/etc at a rehearsal just to make sure that they're all working. Spares that don't work are just useless extra weight you're carrying.

S.P.

Good call. I get my spare bass out every now and then and give it a blast at soundcheck just to make sure. 

spare set of strings, thats it, never broke one in 25 years of gigging. I have a DI preamp pedal that I use through the PA alongside my amp, its got me out of trouble a couple of times my amps gone south, never taken a spare bass or amp, maybe one day it'll bite me but not yet, plenty of leads, power cables etc go in the PA box of leads

When I played with a Pub/Club band, I lugged around a bag full of spares for everything practically - mics, XLR leads, speaker leads etc. Nearly all of it got used at one time or another. Now I'm playing in slightly larger venues which provide the PA equipment, my load is considerably lighter. I have a medium sized sports holdall which carries:

2 x Hercules folding stands

Mains extension lead

Mains 4 way power strip

Spare leads

4 x IEC leads - two long and two short

Spare strings (bass and guitar)

Notepad and marker pen (for the numpties who forget their set lists...)

Power breaker plug (used if the electrics of the place look suspect!)

Basic tool bag - actually a small wash bag, with screwdrivers, pliers, electrical tape etc

A small pencil case with odds and ends in - paracetamol, band aids, disposable ear plugs, drum key, batteries, a patch lead etc

Small clip on light (useful if you're using cheat sheets)

Speakon lead

Spare 9V PSU

Clip on tuner

The inevitable roll of gaffa tape

If something hasn't been used in last few months, it gets moved out. It may be one extra thing to carry, but it's been a lifesaver on loads of occasions. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rushbo said:

When I played with a Pub/Club band, I lugged around a bag full of spares for everything practically - mics, XLR leads, speaker leads etc. Nearly all of it got used at one time or another. Now I'm playing in slightly larger venues which provide the PA equipment, my load is considerably lighter. I have a medium sized sports holdall which carries:

2 x Hercules folding stands

Mains extension lead

Mains 4 way power strip

Spare leads

4 x IEC leads - two long and two short

Spare strings (bass and guitar)

Notepad and marker pen (for the numpties who forget their set lists...)

Power breaker plug (used if the electrics of the place look suspect!)

Basic tool bag - actually a small wash bag, with screwdrivers, pliers, electrical tape etc

A small pencil case with odds and ends in - paracetamol, band aids, disposable ear plugs, drum key, batteries, a patch lead etc

Small clip on light (useful if you're using cheat sheets)

Speakon lead

Spare 9V PSU

Clip on tuner

The inevitable roll of gaffa tape

If something hasn't been used in last few months, it gets moved out. It may be one extra thing to carry, but it's been a lifesaver on loads of occasions. 

Now that's a well thought out list. Taking notes from this. Cheers

Dave

Picking up on @rushbo's post about his sports holdall, I just want to share a little tip - it's good to keep your spares separate from the stuff you always use. I also have a sports holdall, and I subdivide the main space using "really useful boxes". The bottom layer contain my spares, and generally don't need to get touched. The top layer contains the things I do use, and get emptied out at every gig.

S.P.

• Like 2

I only ever take:-

9V battery (if I remember to pack one) for the Sterling

Spare 12AX7valve for my DHA pedal (lives in my pedal bag permanently - not needed one yet)

A screwdriver - to open the pedal if necessary to get the duff valve out (if I remember to pack it)

A spare lead.

A hand towel

A pair of underpants - an accidental pre-show self soiling incident could ruin a show

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Twigman said:

A hand towel

A pair of underpants - an accidental pre-show self soiling incident could ruin a show

The first item above resolves the 2nd issue (nappy) and you can always go commando or if you really want to be disgusting then reversal is an option altho not one of my personal choices :laugh1:

• Haha 1