Why become a member? ×

Barefaced One10 Stack?

bassist_lewis

I have used 2 One10's and they sounded good, but it was in a small room and the band wasn't too loud. Usually I'll prefer to use 2 112's because the sound is just better to my ears, even on the smaller gigs.

Even if there is a PA with monitors I'd use my back line as normal. With some bands it matter more than others, but I want the stage sound to be the same on every gig.

I play in a wedding band with a decent PA, and I  had a 2x One10 stack for a while. It sounded good - but I since sold it.  
Can you get a wedge monitor set up (either if the band provides one, or buy your one)?  I have an RCF powered speaker which I use as a wedge most of the time, but can place it vertically behind me if I need traditional backline - for example a smaller gig with a smaller PA.
My point is that I realized I can hear myself a lot better with a wedge in front of me pointing up towards my ears, rather than a stack behind me pointing at my knees/back.  You don't need any bass going "forwards" as that's what the PA is for.
The sound person prefers me using the wedge as it makes his job easier and the band sound better - less bass spilling out to front, etc.

Also - would you be able to use in-ears?  Depending on the PA it might be easy to set it up for you.

3 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

I play in a wedding band with a decent PA, and I  had a 2x One10 stack for a while. It sounded good - but I since sold it.  
Can you get a wedge monitor set up (either if the band provides one, or buy your one)?  I have an RCF powered speaker which I use as a wedge most of the time, but can place it vertically behind me if I need traditional backline - for example a smaller gig with a smaller PA.
My point is that I realized I can hear myself a lot better with a wedge in front of me pointing up towards my ears, rather than a stack behind me pointing at my knees/back.  You don't need any bass going "forwards" as that's what the PA is for.
The sound person prefers me using the wedge as it makes his job easier and the band sound better - less bass spilling out to front, etc.

Also - would you be able to use in-ears?  Depending on the PA it might be easy to set it up for you.

I can see where you are coming from and with a decent PA and Sound-guy, I agree. However most of us weekend warriors don’t have the benefit of a good PA and good sound-guys are even rarer. 

Our drummer runs the PA and usually brings two Mackie Thump 15s. In my opinion these are  inferior to my bass cab, an early version of the Basschat 1x12.

In fact, and again it is my opinion, any PA Top on a pole used without a sub. Is inferior, especially if the “sound-guy” is also playing in the band. 

I see a lot of semi-pro bands and in general, those that use backline sound better to me than those that put everything through an inadequate PA. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

I play with a few different bands so set ups can be very variable, sometimes I get wedge or there is an in-ear set-up but sometimes there is neither. Frankly, I just like combining amps, cabs and basses for tonal variations, and I like my One10 and just want that sound but louder (without shelling out for a Two10 which I don't have space for)

8 minutes ago, bassist_lewis said:

I like my One10 and just want that sound but louder

I'm sure you'll really like two of them then.
In terms of loudness I found one was almost enough most of the time, and definitely didn't have any problems with two. I had a 900W amp.

• Like 2

I have a One10 stack, powered by a variety of Ashdown heads. I did a function gig with it (plus PA support) and it was absolutely fine. This week d I’ll get to rehearse with it with my loud punk band, it’ll be interesting to see how it fares. I think with PA support I’d always have no issue with it, but if I’m providing the only source of bass I’d probably add my Super Compact into the mix too...

I run a One10 stack and it’s never not been loud enough 😊 done a few pubs with no PA and it’s not even broken a sweat...

...admittedly I’m not playing stadiums with no PA support but who is 😕

Did a rehearsal last week at a place on the third floor (no lift). Bass on my back and a cab in each hand, stairs were no trouble whatsoever.

I never liked the earlier Barefaced gear, always found the tone too honky, but the One10 is much nicer sounding to my ears. Deep and Punchy 😊 

I think they are great.

• Like 1

I had 2x One10s - quite the surprise to the Soundie in the local!  No PA support required, and I only had an Ampeg Pf350 to power them.

I only sold them because I was skint, and as soon as I had the dosh I bought a Two10.

Sometimes I think it would be nice to have the option of a One10 though - much easier to lug for practicing round someone’s house!

I have a Super Compact and am considering replacing by two One10s..

I have been using Markbass LM 800 with the SC; had assume d that would be too powerful with the One10s. My other amp is a Gallien Krueger MB200.

Views welcome. Oh, and do you actually stack your One10s rather than side by side?

Edited by Mickeyboro

1 hour ago, Mickeyboro said:

I have a Super Compact and am considering replacing by two One10s..

I have been using Markbass LM 800 with the SC; had assume d that would be too powerful with the One10s. My other amp is a Gallien Krueger MB200.

Views welcome. Oh, and do you actually stack your One10s rather than side by side?

I have a SC and a One10, they're VERY different in tone with the same amp so you might want to try a One10 first, they definitely impart their own sound on your bass.

One10s are rated at 8ohms so your MB would be outputting 400w to each One10, and according to the website they can handle 250w no bother, and up to 500w if its clean.

Loving the pictures everybody! 😍 so tempted to pull the trigger!

1 hour ago, bassist_lewis said:

I have a SC and a One10, they're VERY different in tone with the same amp so you might want to try a One10 first, they definitely impart their own sound on your bass.

Interesting. What’s your rationale for having both and do you ever use them together? Ta!

Just now, Mickeyboro said:

Interesting. What’s your rationale for having both and do you ever use them together? Ta!

The SC has a clear hi-fi-ish tone (depending who you speak to of course!) that I can adapt to fit with whatever style I'm playing, and it's got lots of volume so it works for the medium sized venues I usually play. I generally use the One10 for gigs where space is tight, like theatre pits or some of the local pubs I play. However, because it uses ceramic magnets and they way its built (Alex gives a detailed description on his website) it has a very 'vintage' tone, lots of low mids and smooth/subdued highs, IMO great for soul/motown/old school funk type stuff, which I love playing so it'd be great to have the option of a proper gigging rig with that tone.

I've used them together a couple of times, I don't recall thinking much of the sound. Alex doesn't recommend mixing his 10s and 12 as they are so different, and I'd agree. Maybe slightly louder due to extra cone area and being taller and closer to your ears.

1 hour ago, bassist_lewis said:

The SC has a clear hi-fi-ish tone (depending who you speak to of course!) that I can adapt to fit with whatever style I'm playing, and it's got lots of volume so it works for the medium sized venues I usually play. I generally use the One10 for gigs where space is tight, like theatre pits or some of the local pubs I play. However, because it uses ceramic magnets and they way its built (Alex gives a detailed description on his website) it has a very 'vintage' tone, lots of low mids and smooth/subdued highs, IMO great for soul/motown/old school funk type stuff, which I love playing so it'd be great to have the option of a proper gigging rig with that tone.

I've used them together a couple of times, I don't recall thinking much of the sound. Alex doesn't recommend mixing his 10s and 12 as they are so different, and I'd agree. Maybe slightly louder due to extra cone area and being taller and closer to your ears.

I’ve gigged my SC and a single One10 together a couple of times and really liked the results. I used my Ashdown ABM500 and Little Bastard heads. The One10 softens the mids of the SC I feel, it works very nicely as a pairing.

I have to say I’ve been so impressed with the One10 pair that I am considering selling my SC. I would think 99% of my gigs will be covered with them, so the SC is a bit of a luxury. But it is also bloomin awesome in its own right and the different flavour it provides is also making me wonder if I should hold onto it...

11 minutes ago, Merton said:

I’ve gigged my SC and a single One10 together a couple of times and really liked the results. I used my Ashdown ABM500 and Little Bastard heads. The One10 softens the mids of the SC I feel, it works very nicely as a pairing.

I have to say I’ve been so impressed with the One10 pair that I am considering selling my SC. I would think 99% of my gigs will be covered with them, so the SC is a bit of a luxury. But it is also bloomin awesome in its own right and the different flavour it provides is also making me wonder if I should hold onto it...

I also have a BB2 and Super Midget. I’ll only sell them if I really need the money.

I’d say keep your SM. 😄

Frank.

• Like 1