Why become a member? ×

Jazzenbackus

Cuzzie

• 2 weeks later...

Well it’s done and set up, just a little shielding work to finish off, but with the tone rolled right off it’s useable.

Tha schaller 3D Bridge is a thing of joy

The bridge pick up on this is a monster and could get very gnarly, but it’s super punchy and clean.

Current weakness is the neck pick up volume but I need to raise it if I want to get more volume out of it and would need longer screws, but I am really liking either both together or bridge alone.

The action also goes super low

7B5FBB67-5B44-4974-9A19-9999A231FCB7.thumb.jpeg.9508a31067a7ad5c9a2865d1ad6053f1.jpeg5339B554-BEC6-4E63-8F31-F0D4B6537C22.thumb.jpeg.52380190456744c14af93af702d584c6.jpegDE6A2EFC-841A-47B1-86F1-C7D9AC65224E.thumb.jpeg.9552311805593c871b3e68ab4ff55ccc.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Small update, after playing with this for a while.

I had some shielding and grounding issues, so did alter things from the actual provided diagram a little (would love to show a picture, but reluctant to open again as it tool me some tinkering to get it right!) but essentially I completed carbon painting in both cavities, copper tape the underside of the Pickguard, screwed a ring terminal into the body with a ground wire, copper tape over it, and ran a line of tape circumferentially around the jazz plate cavity connecting to this, up on to the body  Under the bridge, and under the plastic guard around the bridge pick up rout (you see a little flash peeping through where the control plate, pickguard, bridge surround plate meet) and a small strip in the routes cavities too so there is a constant line, and it worked!!!

The Stellartone tele jazz plate really is a great piece of kit. The selector switch simply does Neck,Series,Parallel,Bridge and the Tonestyler is like the Duo 6/Bass 6 with 6 positions dialling through a high and mid cut with a maximum capacitance of 0.047uF. 
At the click of a dial you can go clank to more organic - personally I prefer it either wide open or in position 5, the range of tones will be similar to the excellent review @krispn did with recordings on the bass ten, but obviously less Sub-eeeee in its abilities.

I have to say the Seymour Duncan Rickenbacker pick ups are very very good, evidently I have not heard them in a Rickenbacker set up, but having played a rick I think these would do just as good a job if not better in there. The Neck pick up really is quite smooth and you can coax quite a nice fat P sound out of it. I had to use longer screws than supplied and really jack up the pick up on foam in the cavity to get it to a decent height (a point for anyone trying to fit one into a non Ric bass) and deliberately it is the quieter of the 2 pick ups.

In series there is a lovely fullness and mid range to the sound pick or fingers and would probably suit those best looking for that more authentic driven sound.

In parallel is where it takes off and starts moving towards some real bite and clank, slight volume jump, which could be apparent as it is naturally brighter, but it does bring you forward and more prevalent in the mix.

Selecting the bridge, there is no real loss of output, and it’s a very full sounding bridge pick up that does not get too weedy and nasal like, one of the few times I would happily consider bridge pick up alone.

Status graphite neck - say no more - probably the best necks out there, and definitely plays it’s part in giving the bass a nod to Ric levels of cut and clank.

Big thing to note to anyone popping pick ups from another bass into a bass that it was not meant to be in and in another position - That Schaller 3D bridge is a god send and a massive chunk of metal, being able to get the string spacing to as little as 14mm made this happen, or the E and G were outside the field of play.

Yep I am biased, but I’ll enjoy this one, and personally I think a Ric hybrid really works, across multiple genres.

1EDE9548-4783-4CC3-9E0F-C20D9FE0DB3F.thumb.jpeg.dcb2dc4fd00ec5f933a6634ba75af023.jpeg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

What pickup is that please, kind sir?

As @Cuzzie points out it is indeed a Lull TBird pick up. It’s not apparent but has been mentioned earlier in this thread that it has a Tone Styler Bass10 fitted too which makes the whole thing quite versatile and can be heard here if you’re interested!

• Like 1