Why become a member? ×

Bassist or Bass Player?

Stub Mandrel

On 15/09/2019 at 11:21, Stub Mandrel said:

The defining feature of the guitar is that it's a chordal instrument and its tunings reflect this. The bass is primarily designed to be played monophonically (notwithstanding guitar solos and bass chords!) and perhaps the thing that distinguishes it most from the guitar is that it is (almost) always tuned in fourths, whatever the number of strings.

I'd still argue that it's a member of the guitar family. I feel like the fact that we typically play it monophonically has less to do with its design, and more to do with the dense intervals of a full triad sounding - to put technically - utterly gash at those low frequencies.

Try the same on a piano - play a simple major or minor triad of your choosing in a standard guitar's register, then try it an octave down. Open fifths and octaves, by contrast, can be quite acceptable when used judiciously (which is to say, not over the drummer's solo).

The consistent fourths tuning likely has more to do with the fact that the rulebook hadn't been written when ERBs were being invented, so people just made up their own rules. It's worth noting that a Bass VI follows standard guitar tuning, and I have heard of some oddballs tuning their six-string basses B-B (however, such revolutionaries may have been taken out back and shot by now). Not to mention the fact that, of any Western musical instrument, members of the guitar family are the most likely to be found in some strange and deviant tuning at any given time and for any given piece: please spare a thought at this moment for Sonic Youth's guitar tech.

Where I'm going with this, in my usual clear and concise manner, is that not only am I equally comfortable being referred to as the bass player or the bassist, but that I am also content for observers to group me in with the lead and rhythm guitarists and refer to us, collectively as, the guitarists.

9 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

have to say, that while I like my five string tuned to a low B, my instinct for a higher string would be to set that to a high B rather than a C.  i suspect purely because I play a lot of guitar (including a seven string) so it would feel natural.  Completely understand why a bass player/ist would favour a high C

Yeah, I can definitely see the sense in both approaches. I guess if you extend your range upwards then tuning your higher strings to C and F (and Bb?) opens up the instrument's range slightly more than tuning to B and E, plus you're not going to be playing huge chords across all 5/6/7 strings.

On the other hand, having the major third in among the fourths might give you more scope for transferring certain guitar chord shapes onto the top strings more easily than if you were working solely in fourths...although I've never tried it myself, so I can't reliably comment!

24 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Yeah, I can definitely see the sense in both approaches. I guess if you extend your range upwards then tuning your higher strings to C and F (and Bb?) opens up the instrument's range slightly more than tuning to B and E, plus you're not going to be playing huge chords across all 5/6/7 strings.

On the other hand, having the major third in among the fourths might give you more scope for transferring certain guitar chord shapes onto the top strings more easily than if you were working solely in fourths...although I've never tried it myself, so I can't reliably comment!

I did tune my low B up to a C for one band, but not for any clever alternate tuning reason, purely because the guitars were tuned down to a C, and the rest of my strings were also tuned up a semi tone

Bassist - Formally trained to play anything straight from looking at the score, look and act completely disinterested in anything they can play (which is everything), and argue about anything and everything related to music in an aggressively boring fashion.

Bass player - Monkey see, monkey do.

👍

Example of a room-full of 'ists'. Yes, they are pretty good...

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 1

On 15/09/2019 at 17:11, Bluewine said:

I'm an an electric bass guitarist.

I always felt bassist and bass players were guys that play double or stand up bass.

Blue

I've always thought of myself as a bass guitarist too. It confirms the type of low register instrument played.

Bassist sounds like a political affiliation. Bass player is OK. Not too serious.

When asked I what I play I will often reply. "In time unlike my band mates".

Edited by Low End Bee
  • Like 1

What with Sweden's nobility having a Royally Appointed Throbmonger, and Norway's knighting penguins*, I'm agog to find out what the crowned heads of the rest of the Nordic countries are doing to redress the balance...

* Sir Nils Olav - see below for possibly my all-time favourite Wikipedia picture/title combination...

image.png.e3372e6a2d9285f1f6a2ac3367ebd9ba.png

Oh, and it's bassist...like anybody really gives a flyer...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Bottoms being something of a hazard in Jethro Toe. Ian Anderson described his predecessor John Glascock as "a kinky bastard who likes to be thrashed severely across the bum"

🙂

Yes. I've seen poor Dave also get the riding crop across the jacksie during "Hunting Girl".
If that was the end of his derrière-based-bass-activities, he'd probably be happy. Unfortunately, this also happened...

excerpt from an interview with Dave Pegg on Folking.com....

Folkmaster - If you could be remembered for one thing what would it be - What's your legacy?

If I could be remembered for one thing - Well I did have a nasty accident at the Krumlin Festival in the 70's when I was wearing a pair of white trousers. I had rather too much to drink and when I got on stage I actually plopped myself which was very embarrassing as the back of my white trousers changed colour very quickly. Behind me were all the other acts that were on, including Elton John who wasn't very famous at the time and The Move who were people that we knew from Birmingham. I was a laughing stock. It was incredibly embarrassing and I couldn’t turn around to adjust the volume on my amp because the audience would have seen the brown mass that was attached to my derrière and would have know for sure what had happened.

Folkmaster - So they never knew?

The audience never knew. In fact the Festival was a complete disaster, it all went terribly wrong for us. Dave Swarbrick didn't actually stinky poo himself on stage but was desperate for a tiddle and there was this hole in the canvas on the stage. He went over to the side of the stage, stuck his chopper through the hole and had a waz. Unfortunately the press area was on the other side of the hole and consequently we’ve never been popular with the Melody Maker since 1970, which I think was the last time they gave us a review.

• Haha 7