Why become a member? ×

Easy Luminous edge markers.

andyonbass

There are fairly frequent posts on here regarding the difficulty of seeing position markers on dark stages. Here's my solution.......

Firstly go on eBay and search for adhesive luminous tape, (will cost a couple of quid)

Next get hold of a hole punch (see pic)  again, no more than a fiver from eBay 

You'll need tweezers and something like a small screwdriver to poke out the luminous marker from the punch. (see pic!)

Craft knife.

Tools needed.      IMG_0683.thumb.JPG.3090e7611befee8c64fc9a50cfaec017.JPG

Use the punch to cut a marker out of the tape ( there are 5 or 6 different sizes on the punch I have)

IMG_0684.thumb.JPG.2f8f0166d1d0f25ee5cb0d94c94b074b.JPG

Remove the marker from the punch using the screwdriver....

IMG_0685.thumb.JPG.0ea6eb706b2fbc99941e586db12fbdd8.JPG

Place marker in the desired position using tweezers.....

IMG_0686.thumb.JPG.9fbed8597db6804d50f3514907e5c967.JPG

And repeat as necessary.....

IMG_0689.thumb.JPG.b38f611409e3c65030c7fc822e97f8fe.JPG

Enjoy!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You might have to use a craft knife to remove the backing from the adhesive tape but with practice you can leave it in place on the roll....

IMG_0687.thumb.JPG.5ae60670c971ceabe96188cfc9a92df2.JPG

Quick one handed video (stop it!!).   

You could apply some clear nail varnish over the top if you like but check it doesn't affect the finish of the neck......

Edited by andyonbass

Great post.

I've been doing exactly the same thing for a while now but use the 3M Luminous sheet,This Stuff, and I think I have enough material to last me the rest of my days. The great thing is using this method you can punch the holes to the size you want rather than buying the dots that only seem to come in 1 size.

The luminous effect does last an age.

• Like 1

I did this.  I used a desk hole punch then opened it up for the dots.  Trouble was on the stuff I bought the sticky on the back wasn't sticky enough and they ended up either falling off or unsticking/resticking all over the neck as I played :)  Also they didn't stay luminous for long.  I had a UV torch that I charged them up with during set up but by the time we played the glow had faded.

I also tried luminous paint, that wasn't very successful, either. 

56 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I did this.  I used a desk hole punch then opened it up for the dots.  Trouble was on the stuff I bought the sticky on the back wasn't sticky enough and they ended up either falling off or unsticking/resticking all over the neck as I played :)  Also they didn't stay luminous for long.  I had a UV torch that I charged them up with during set up but by the time we played the glow had faded.

I also tried luminous paint, that wasn't very successful, either. 

That was my issue too. The dots would end up moving and falling off eventually. Not terribly bright either and needed to be charged up (UV light torch keyring type) frequently. Ended up using Luminlay fret markers which were a lot better... but then I stopped playing in that particularly dark venue. Still, it was cool when we got to play stages that contained UV light or a lot of blue light, which made the markers shine brightly.

IME anything that isn't inlaid into the neck will come off or move at the least appropriate moment.

If you can justify the cost of LEDs get some Luminlay markers. On a bass with a removable neck they are an easy DIY fit, and for set or through neck instruments any decent luthier will do a great job for a little extra outlay.