Why become a member? ×

AMT S25B MICROPHONE KIT

petebassist

I picked up this double bass mic, AMT S25B MICROPHONE KIT, a week or so back, and I took it to a recording studio this week to record my upright bass, and it sounded amazing.

Back at home today I plugged the same mic into an Apple Mac via a Focusrite direct input box and into Garage Band and used a Classic Vocal track with compression turned off and managed to get a pretty good recording.

Anyone got any other tips on how best to record my double bass on the my Apple Mac.

Thanks.

Edited by petebassist

• 1 month later...

Even though it’s a close-mic’ing system (looks like something you mount over the F hole?), try to find a room / space in the room that sounds best when you are playing - you are still recording an acoustic instrument, in a space. 

It’s nice to capture some of the fingerboard slap, so another mic may give more options if you are missing the ‘attack’ there - but then watch out for how the mics interact.

even better to record in a nice sounding room with a decent omni mic at about 1m away,  though that’s getting closer to studio, not home recording!

otherwise general tips apply, watch out that levels don’t clip the input - you can easily leave 6db of headroom; no need to get as close as possible to 0db.