Why become a member? ×

On stage nudity

darkandrew

I don't mind a bit of bad boy behaviour from the stars but every time I've seen a guitarist so much as whip a shirt off down the Green Dragon, mid set halfway through that Stereophonics cover everybody seems to do, I've tended to think *(insert whatever words our spam filters would change right here)*

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Cat Burrito said:

I don't mind a bit of bad boy behaviour from the stars but every time I've seen a guitarist so much as whip a shirt off down the Green Dragon, mid set halfway through that Stereophonics cover everybody seems to do, I've tended to think *(insert whatever words our spam filters would change right here)*

Is it the one that goes:

Standing at the bus stop with my shopping in my hands
And I'm overhearing elder ladies
As the rumours start to fly
Hear them in the school yard
In the scrap yard
In the chip shop
In the phone box
In the pool hall
At the shoe stall
Every corner turn around

It started with a school girl
Who was running
Running home to her Mam and Dad
Told them she was playing in the change room of the local football side
They said tell us again, she told them again
Tell us the truth, they found it hard to believe
'Cause he taught our Steve, even trained me, taught uncle John who's a father of three

Only takes one tree to make a thousand matches
Only takes one match to burn a thousand trees...

... That's it, it's called "A Thousand Trees" (I think). 👍

14 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Is it the one that goes:

Is it the one that goes:

I'm leaning on a lamp-post at the corner of the street,
In case a certain little lady comes by.
Oh me, oh my, I hope the little lady comes by

Funnily enough, the lyrics which precede the hook in Mr Formby's chef d'doeuvre would not sound out of place in a modern day rap number:

I'm leaning on a lamp, maybe you think, I look a tramp,
Or you may think I'm hanging 'round to steal a motor-car.
But no I'm not a crook, And if you think, that's what I look,
I'll tell you why I'm here, And what my motives are.

• Like 1

Never had this with band members, but we did one gig at a Hockey club where someone in the audience got naked.

We were half way through a song when I became aware of this dude walking straight down the middle of the hall, wearing nothing but a gold posing pouch. He got to the stage, took it off and threw it at the band, where it wrapped itself round one of the cymbals. Lady vocalist suitably scandalised.

Oddly enough, the song we were playing was "What's that coming over the hill, it's a monster!". Although sadly, it turned out not to be.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, skankdelvar said:

Mr Formby

Interesting, those lines are totally interchangeable!

Standing at the bus stop with my shopping in my hands / I'm leaning on a lamp-post at the corner of the street

Not nudity, but Formby had many of his songs banned by the BBC for being explicit. i.e. they believed "My little stick of Blackpool rock" was about his pink torpedo.

Which probably says more about Lord Reith than it does about Mr Formby. 😬

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Standing at the bus stop with my shopping in my hands

Put them together and you (almost) get:

Standin' on a corner, Suitcase in my hand.
Jack's in his car, says to Jane, who's in her vest,
Me, babe, I'm in a rock n' roll band.

But you have to say the second line very, very quickly.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Put them together and you (almost) get:

Standin' on a corner, Suitcase in my hand.
Jack's in his car, says to Jane, who's in her vest,
Me, babe, I'm in a rock n' roll band.

But you have to say the second line very, very quickly.

2nd verse sounds like classic Formby:

Now, Jack, he is a banker,
And Jane, she is a clerk.
And the both of them are saving up their money...
Then they come home from work.

👍

Edited by Ricky 4000

NSFLAWMILF (not safe for lazy afternoons with mother-in-law's family), but the idealistic organisation Fück For Forest have done "what it says on the tin" on stage as part of a Norwegian rock show I attended.

One could google this organisation and visit their website, but one would have been warned appropriately. 😐

Now, I don't mind nudity at all, and am more "shocked" by some of the responses in this thread, but I do admit that a lot of on-stage nudity simply has no relevance whatsoever above trying (I'd say failing, but this thread proved me wrong) for a shock effect.
Norwegian band Turbonegro's singer had this tendency to pull his trousers down and stick a cake fountain firework thingie up his behind before litting it.
Some people loved it. Some people were shocked. I was bored, as it left the show without musical drive and didn't offer anything in compensation.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Paul S said:

I don't get nudity - full stop.  On stage, on beaches, in the back garden - wherever.  In public I understand there can be an element of exhibitionism.  Sometimes a need to shock.  Which I find rather pathetic.  But around the house or in the garden?  What's the point?  

What 's wrong with the nekkid form?. It's the natural state. After all, we weren't born in trouser suits and would you suggest the Hottentots or headhunters of New Guinea put on cotton briefs?

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 3

The Soap Girls get a lot of stick for this. A lot of people think it's just a gimmick and that they're nothing more than that. IMO as far as punk bands go they're very good, and the message they're trying to get across is that we shouldn't always sexualise women. I think there's a debate to be had about whether you can untangle nudity from sex but I respect them anyway

seen Mr Pop a few times, which means I've seen Little Iggy a few times too

The one that gives me nightmares was seeing  Dwarves in the punk tent at Reading one year.  The previously mentioned Nick Oliveri used to be a band member, and they do have a certain reputation for shedding their clothes.  On this occasion the scrawny guitarist did the whole show in just a gimp mask

Honourable mention for Zia McCabe of the Dandy Warhols.  I only knew their music so was pleasantly surprised when she removed her top the first time i saw them, and the two or three times I've seen them since (and I haven't seen them for more than a decade) when she kept her clothes on there was usually a backdrop of her naked

2 hours ago, cheddatom said:

The Soap Girls get a lot of stick for this. A lot of people think it's just a gimmick and that they're nothing more than that. IMO as far as punk bands go they're very good, and the message they're trying to get across is that we shouldn't always sexualise women. I think there's a debate to be had about whether you can untangle nudity from sex but I respect them anyway

I saw them last year at Rebellion and did think that they played well. However I think many in the audience were concentrating with their eyes rather than their ears.

Shame really, I think they’re much better than titilation but given their lack of clothing they’ll always attract a crowd wanting an eyeful.

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

I saw them last year at Rebellion and did think that they played well. However I think many in the audience were concentrating with their eyes rather than their ears.

Shame really, I think they’re much better than titilation but given their lack of clothing they’ll always attract a crowd wanting an eyeful.

The young guy on drums at that gig is a good mate of mine. He's on tour with them now. Phenomenal player. 

I think there's a good debate to be had about it - blokes can get away with being topless in many more situations than women, for example. Is this blatant inequality or do breasts have some unique place in our society? This is probably not the thread for that debate 

20 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

The Gerogerigegege got up to some very exhibitionist, not to mention rather gross things, now I think of it. Along with bodily emissions of every sort, I believe there was a piece de resistance involving a vacuum cleaner

We went to see The Circus of Horrors a few years ago, which is a theatre show in a bit of a rock/burlesque style. The finale included a gentleman of limited stature wearing very little, attached to a Henry vacuum cleaner via his John Thomas and dragging it around the stage. Very unusual....😮

3 minutes ago, casapete said:

We went to see The Circus of Horrors a few years ago, which is a theatre show in a bit of a rock/burlesque style. The finale included a gentleman of limited stature wearing very little, attached to a Henry vacuum cleaner via his John Thomas and dragging it around the stage. Very unusual....😮

I went to see the Jim Rose Circus Sideshow a few times back in the 90s which included The Amazing Mr Lifto. Guess what he did...