Why become a member? ×

On stage nudity

darkandrew

23 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Good god, and to think some of my friends used to give me a hard time if they thought I'd unbuttoned my shirt a touch too far down on stage...

your friends used to give you a hard time after you'd unbuttoned your shirt? you've obviously got a far better body than I :lol:

I saw Queens of The Stone age around the time of Rated R. Nick Oliveri was naked aside from his bass, then took his bass off. The best / worst though was David Yow (Jesus Lizard singist) who invaded the stage at a Melvins show I attended. Initially he was wearing a toga and cowboy boots. Then the toga came off. Then he stage-dived into the crowd. I'm not sure what's worse though - the being naked or stage diving in cowboy boots. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lemmywinks said:

Google Rockbitch.

Makes Iggy Pop look like Seasame Street!

I saw them in Bristol a good few years ago - that was an eye-opener! They asked for volunteers for 'special' treatment in the dressing room after the gig....

I seem to recall Dave Coverdale showing off a boner during a Whitesnake gig in the late 70s.

• Haha 1

Funny that this subject should come up.....no pun intended. Our harmonica player mentioned at last night's gig that one of our regular venues had a male stripper on next week, and asked if we were expected to carry on in a similar fashion at our next gig there. I  said I was up for it, but the others weren't keen. Lol.

• Haha 1

I don't get nudity - full stop.  On stage, on beaches, in the back garden - wherever.  In public I understand there can be an element of exhibitionism.  Sometimes a need to shock.  Which I find rather pathetic.  But around the house or in the garden?  What's the point?  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I don't get nudity - full stop.  On stage, on beaches, in the back garden - wherever.  In public I understand there can be an element of exhibitionism.  Sometimes a need to shock.  Which I find rather pathetic.  But around the house or in the garden?  What's the point?  

^^^ This.

2 hours ago, taunton-hobbit said:

those 'scared' bikers must have lead very sheltered lives.

They threw "The Golden Condom" into the crowd, saying that whoever caught it would be expected to come on stage, cavort with their nude dancer, then go backstage with her. Nobody made any effort to catch it - there was a rush to get out of the way as if someone had thrown a human turd. One poor drunk fellow was ushered towards it by his "mates" - he picked it up and was pushed on stage to be grabbed by the dancer. As he suddenly realised what was happening a terrified look came over his little beardy face, and there was a huge sigh of collective relief from the audience.

Last we saw of the unfortunate sap was him holding onto the (male) guitarist in an effort to stop the dancer dragging him backstage.

Makes the (male) stripper we had once at the Marquee look like CBeebies!

• Haha 3

I do remember seeing The Vandals supporting Pearl Jam about 20 years ago - I only remember the name of the band for two reasons: their drummer was in the original line-up of A Perfect Circle, and their singer inexplicably got his kit off during the PJ support gig. Fortunately I was far enough back not to experience either psychological trauma or retina burn. Phew.

I wasn't so lucky for a couple of gigs my last band did in our early days. In a triumph of booking mismatch we (a female-fronted proggy/gothy/rocky band) were on the same bill as local hardcore punk veterans The Swellbellys - who, as the name & pedigree suggests were rather well-fed gentlemen from the halcyon days of punk rock.

The intervening decades might have softened their waistlines, but not their attitude or desire for freedom of expression - their encore involved the entire band getting naked, and exhorting the boisterous, enthusiastic and very, very drunk audience to do the same. In a very, very small room.

I still have nightmares. Often about chipolatas and scotch eggs.

Edited by Bassassin
details
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Paul S said:

This may possibly be the single-most British thing I've ever read.

• Like 6
  • Haha 8