Why become a member? ×

NBD: MUSICMAN STINGRAY SPECIAL

grayn

I returned today, to one of my old, favoured bass places, Promenade Music in Morecambe.
Used to go there every few weeks but hadn't been for 2 years.
Anyway, Gary's still working there and is a great bloke for loads of friendly, knowledgable chat and a cup of tea.
Had a hankering for another 4-stringer and after some discussion, we more or less narrowed it down to 3 basses.
A Marleaux Consat Custom 4 (used), a Fender Flea Signature Active Jazz Bass, in Satin Inca Silver and a Musicman Stingray Special, in Chopper Blue.
The Marleaux is a superb bass, with a classy, hand made feel and quality woods.
The only part that didn't impress me was the pre amp, it just didn't seem to deliver, to my ears.
I was a bit dubious about the Flea Jazz but I have to say, I think it is a great bass.
I reckon Flea told Fender to take a JB and make as much like a Stingray as they could.
And they've done a bloody good job, IMO.
Very solid and resonant, really well built and a rather good pickup.
The only changes I'd make would be a 3 band EQ, instead of 2 and a slightly wider string spacing at the bridge end.
I would have been very happy to bring it home with me but as the title suggests, the winner was the Stingray Special.
Now I already have a standard 2014, EBMM Stingray, with a single HB and 3 EQ, that I reckon is great.
So why get this as well, other than the usual excuse of permanent GAS?
To me, there enough differences between the 2 Stingrays to give enough of a different playing experience.
The Special has a slightly different pickup, with Neodymium magnets and an 18 volt pre amp, to deliver even more bassy goodness.
The gorgeous, roasted maple neck feels a tad narrower, with slightly more rounding off, of the rosewood fingerboard's edges and lovely stainless steel frets.
The tuners are definitely nicer, with a more 3D ergonomic, comfy feel to them and the body is rounded at the neck heel to improve one's upper fret playing experience.
Also, overall the bass is a little lighter.
So does all this make the Special better than my old Stingray?
Probably yes but I do so enjoy my older model, it's not going to be left on it's stand.
I really like the Chopper Blue coloured body, with the pearloid white pickguard, black pickup and chrome hardware.
This is a pretty bass and definitely feels like it's got all the iconic, classic aspects you have to have in a Stingray.
Yet it's subtle improvements feel like a natural evolution, with no revolution needed, thankyou.
I'd test driven this beauty through a rig very similar to my own and so am looking forward to the next band rehearsal.

Specifications:
Model: StingRay Special
Size: 13-1/2" wide, 1-5/8" thick, 44-7/8" long (34.3 cm wide, 4.1 cm thick, 114.0 cm long)
Body Wood: Select Hardwoods
Body Finish: High gloss polyester
Bridge: Vintage Music Man® top loaded chrome plated, steel bridge plate with vintage nickel plated steel saddles
Scale Length: 34" (86.4 cm)
Neck Radius: 11" (27.9 cm)
Headstock Size: Only 8-3/4" (22.2 cm) long
Frets: 22 - High profile, wide, Stainless Steel
Neck Width: 1-5/8" (41.3 mm) at nut 2-1/2" (63.5 mm) at last fret
Neck Wood: Select roasted maple neck
Fingerboard: Fretted - Rosewood
Neck Finish: Gunstock oil and hand-rubbed special wax blend
Neck Colors: Standard – Natural with finished headstock
Tuning Machines: Custom Music Man, lightweight with tapered string posts and ergonomic clover design
Truss Rod: Adjustable wheel - no component or string removal
Neck Attachment: 5 bolts - perfect alignment with no shifting; Sculpted neck joint allows smooth access to higher frets
Electronic Shielding: black plated aluminum control cover
Controls: 3-band active preamp with 18 volts of headroom; vol, treble, mid, bass
Pickups: Standard - Single Humbucking with Neodymium magnets.

A.JPG

E and G .jpg

107-CZ-20-05.png

• Like 13

1 hour ago, grayn said:

This is a pretty bass and definitely feels like it's got all the iconic, classic aspects you have to have in a Stingray.
Yet it's subtle improvements feel like a natural evolution, with no revolution needed, thankyou.

I completely agree. Great Basses and the Chopper Blue is a stunning colour. Congratulations on your purchase.

Regarding the nut width, if you'd have asked me a few weeks back I would have said that the nut on my Special was the narrowest of any of my basses. However, after finally purchasing some verniers I thought I'd give it a measure and it actually has the widest nut of any of them at 43.5mm, 2mm wider than the listed specs. Either way it feels lovely.

12 hours ago, pineweasel said:

I’d be interested to hear about the tonal differences between the old Stingray and the Special. I’ve read that the Special is a bit mellower, overall, with a little less of that Stingray snarl.  

I can understand that opinion but the Special still has that edgy growl, IMO.

Until I use it with the band I can't compare totally but think the Special has a similar tone but perhaps with a little more clarity.  But the differences are subtle.

19 minutes ago, songofthewind said:

I love the look and sound of these, but baulk at the specified nut width.

Would someone be able to explain the significance of why the actual measurement differs from the published specs?

Thank you.

No idea about discrepancies in measurements but I can recommend you get your hands on a Special, I think you'll love that neck.

5 hours ago, songofthewind said:

I love the look and sound of these, but baulk at the specified nut width.

Not sure why the nut width on mine differs to the listed specs but please don't let that put you off these basses. As mentioned, these necks certainly don't feel at all wide or chunky and how they feel is what matters, not what the tape measure says.

3 hours ago, Tankdave said:

How's the neck-dive or lack of with the new lighter tuners?

Not sure about the OP but I’ve never experienced neck dive with any of the previous (older) EBMM Stingray models I’ve owned.

I believe the lightweight tuners on the Specials were to reduce overall weight, not to eliminate any inherent neck dive issues.

Edited by Deedee
Added to

Congratulations - nice colour. I've had mine over 12 months and still loving it. You'll find the bass has less natural compression and a completely different mid range from the previous 3 band model. They really are great basses in all respects. They will still do aggressive Ray if you want though - and quite usable with the mid fully boosted.

The amount of boost available in the pre amp (if you want it) is similar to a Bongo. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, drTStingray said:

Congratulations - nice colour. I've had mine over 12 months and still loving it. You'll find the bass has less natural compression and a completely different mid range from the previous 3 band model. They really are great basses in all respects. They will still do aggressive Ray if you want though - and quite usable with the mid fully boosted.

The amount of boost available in the pre amp (if you want it) is similar to a Bongo. 

Thanks for that.  I was wondering how to describe the difference in tone, although less natural compression wasn't something that seemed apparent to me.

Have to listen out a bit more at the next band rehearsal.

Never had a Bongo., although great they are just too ugly to my eyes.

Always fancied a Big Al though.