Why become a member? ×

Peter Cook Ned Callan

NikNik

That nut looks like it's been strung l/h at some point.

The scratchplate is the same shape as the original - they were always ugly! Easy to use it as a template to make a replacement though.

image.png.5c2390718744d1cc15519251c19fae53.png

Not sure what's gone on with the neck joint - mine was bolt-on but I have an idea some of them were glued. Mine had a cover over the screws but can't remember what it was like underneath, except it wasn't like that!

Would definitely need to see the neck to understand what he means about it being bent. Seem to remember these have a 2-way truss rod, might be possible to tweak it.

Although £350 seems a bit much for what really looks like a project.

• Like 1

Was yours a Shaftesbury version? I think the construction differed on later models. I’ve always wanted one of the Cody basses (or was it a Hombre?)  - knobbly Neds - that looked like a piece from a jigsaw. This guy sells a lot of project grade instruments at inflated prices. If you look up a Google search this bass sold on Gumtree for less than £200 a few years ago. It was the same bass as it had the custom scratchplate. I’d risk it for £200 so I may PM him and see if he’s amenable to offers. 

Edited by ash
  • Like 1

Jon, I was looking up the story about the connection between Ned Callan and Shaftesbury and came across this ridiculously incorrect article again.

Spot the mistake!

I have seen this before and had pointed out the obvious errors to Rose Morris however it remains.....

https://rosemorris.com/blogs/news/14900469-bobby-sands-and-his-nobbly-ned-callan-shaftesbury

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Hi all. I was trying to do a bit of research about this bass as I can't remember what shop I bought it from back in the early 70's and found this thread. I bought it off the guy selling it on Ebay because it used to be mine back in the day. It was me who made the scratch plate and had it chromed because  i loved Phil Lynott's chrome scratch plate but didn't get it polished, hence the tarnished colour. (I was only a teenager and there was no internet) it was when I was practising at work and propped it against a table that it slipped and fell against the a wall and snapped the neck off as it was only a set neck. 😥 there was a hardware shop next to where I worked and glued it back together using there vice to clamp it together not realising until It had set that I'd crushed the top few frets 😳 again, I can only think that I was naive 19 year old and didn't know anything better 😔 the engravings are the initials of Neil Gauntlet the guy who was the next owner after me and kept it until he passed away and his wife sold it to the guy who sold it back to me so the bass has gone full circle 42 years later back to me 🥰 Neil played guitar most of his life for jo brown and was born about a mile from me in Birmingham. I don't play any more but wanted to have it as I  have lots of fond memories gigging with it. I was trying to establish if I bought it from new so you could argue that it had had two owners 👍 

• Like 1

Hi all. I was trying to do a bit of research about this bass as I can't remember what shop I bought it from back in the early 70's and found this thread. I bought it off the guy selling it on Ebay because it used to be mine back in the day. It was me who made the scratch plate and had it chromed because  i loved Phil Lynott's chrome scratch plate but didn't get it polished, hence the tarnished colour. (I was only a teenager and there was no internet) it was when I was practising at work and propped it against a table that it slipped and fell against the a wall and snapped the neck off as it was only a set neck. 😥 there was a hardware shop next to where I worked and glued it back together using there vice to clamp it together not realising until It had set that I'd crushed the top few frets 😳 again, I can only think that I was a naive 19 year old and didn't know anything better 😔 the engravings are the initials of Neil Gauntlet the guitar player with Jo Brown who must have purchased it after me and kept it until he passed away. His wife then sold it to the guy who was selling it on ebay. So 42 years later it's gone full circle back to me 🥰 I did a bit of research and Neil was born about a mile from me in Birmingham. I don't play any more but wanted to have it as I  have lots of fond memories gigging with it back in the 70's even with its issues. It always sounded very bright especially with a fresh set of rotosound strings on it and I loved the long scale.i will replace the scratch plate with something that looks more original but will leave the rest as it as it tells a good story. I was trying to establish if I bought it from new so you could argue that it had had two owners 👍 

• Like 2