Why become a member? ×

Strings question

scoobystig

Ok, so I’m a four string bass man, don’t want a 5 string so that’s not an option 

I normally play ernie balls 100 80 65 45 which is fine for 95% of what I play but for some of the songs in the set I need to detune to CGCF and the 100 string is terribly floppy by this stage 

so what gauge string would be good for winding down to C, Ernie ball make a 110 90 75 55 set would this be better 

or should I look at a 5 string set and not use the lightest 

I will copy the results from:

http://www.daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf

It does not matter that you are using some other manufacturer. These numbers are good approximations and give you the direction.

Page 10, Nickel plated roundwound:

XLB 100 - 36.5 lbs (E), 23.0 lbs (C)

tuning down to C, but having the same tension - 32.0 lbs (XLB120), 35.2 lbs (XLB125), 38.6 (XLB130)

Now if you want to tune constantly between E and C, your choices are far more limited. My suggestion might be 110 (tension varies between 46.2 and 29.1). Is it a must to tune the instrument back and forth? Could you just tune the bass to certain tuning and keep it that way?

Gauge is directly related to tension, when comparing similarly built (same brand and type) strings. I am sorry, I just do not understand your comment. The D'Addario guide is very helpful when building certain tension sets. I once built a 5 string set that was in fourths but starting from low C. Technically the set worked very well, but my head did not get it (where is my E now?). I am an old dog who does not even seem to learn the old stuff.