Why become a member? ×

High Pass Filter - Simple New Design.

Stub Mandrel

3 hours ago, Rich said:

I'm a bit late to the party, but this may be of interest...

https://circuitswiring.com/20hz-to-200hz-variable-high-pass-filter/

Handy suggestion, although the slope wont be as steep as it's only a 2-pole instead of 4-pole filter, could have other related uses or be cascaded with a 2-pole filter.

Also, it's a passive filter followed by a boost stage rather than an active filter, but that probably wouldn't make a big difference.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, stewblack said:

How you getting on with yours Stubby?

Interesting question. In practice 99% of the time it's 'transparent' and you wouldn't notice it's there. What does notice is that low frequency handling noise, like placing your palm over the strings or thumping the body is drastically reduced or eliminated. So it definitely protects the rig against those low transients. I don't know if it gives much extra headroom as at home the master volume on the Trace doesn't get above 1.5 and the Ashdown 500 at the rehearsal studio doesn't even get to 12 because we are old farts who don't want to damage our hearing (further).

• Like 1

On 14/09/2019 at 12:52, Stub Mandrel said:

First shot at a design - 'rough and ready'  chebyschev , hoping that a 3:1tuning ratio for the second stage won't have too extreme an effect. Bodge from Art of Electronics ideas plus HPF-pre warning C3 is connected the wrong way round in this schematic - I've corrected the simplified one).

Is that Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill? Geez that takes me back a long time!That was our bible on my Electronics degree course back in the late eighties lol. My whole degree was based around me wanting to go and work for Marshall and design amps (it never happened :( ). I still have that book somewhere and derived many circuits from it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BassThing said:

Is that Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill? Geez that takes me back a long time!That was our bible on my Electronics degree course back in the late eighties lol. My whole degree was based around me wanting to go and work for Marshall and design amps (it never happened :( ). I still have that book somewhere and derived many circuits from it.

It's on version 3 now, feels a bit less fun, with more facts and fewer examples and they lost the 'spot the deliberate mistake' sections which are my favourite bit of the second edition.

7 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It's on version 3 now, feels a bit less fun, with more facts and fewer examples and they lost the 'spot the deliberate mistake' sections which are my favourite bit of the second edition.

Now you're really making me feel old, just dug my copy out and it's the first edition... 😊 The Bad Circuits were indeed fun trying to work out why they were bad.

• Like 1