Why become a member? ×

I have been delving into Ska lately, especially the earlier classic Ska/reggae crossover style.

I have found inventive bass lines, often using walking lines or arpeggio patterns. Some are pretty fast and tricky to play. 

I have prepared this lesson of Five Classic Ska Bass Lines. These are some of my favourites and you are sure to have fun playing them. 

Follow the link below for the full video lesson.

Enjoy, and I’d love your feedback on the lesson, or suggestions of other Ska tunes to teach. 

https://youtu.be/KmdrGmk0FjU

• Like 4

Always love the Ska songs in our set - we do monkey man, more specials than toots, and always much faster than that even if we try. A lot of our songs end up getting a bit ska'd from time to time. We do the reel big fish brown eyed girl and 'party like its' version of timber. We are generally a conflict of people who want to play different things.

I hadn't heard 5, sounds a good one to try.

My normal favourite is Impression I get from a bass playing point of view. I want to do madness stuff but apparently our sax player has the wrong type of sax!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stewblack said:

Of all the music I love to play this is my favourite. Thank you. 

4 hours ago, stewblack said:

Of all the music I love to play this is my favourite. Thank you. 

No worries, this lesson is proving really popular. I had no idea so many love Ska. The bass lines are awesome!

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Always love the Ska songs in our set - we do monkey man, more specials than toots, and always much faster than that even if we try. A lot of our songs end up getting a bit ska'd from time to time. We do the reel big fish brown eyed girl and 'party like its' version of timber. We are generally a conflict of people who want to play different things.

I hadn't heard 5, sounds a good one to try.

My normal favourite is Impression I get from a bass playing point of view. I want to do madness stuff but apparently our sax player has the wrong type of sax!

You’ll have to tell your sax player to sort it out! I love a bit of Madness. 

Your band sounds interesting. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I don’t get to play with them very often, but when I do dep for a Ska band, this is one of my favourites.

Awesome song. There is a lesson on youtube from "Cambridge Bass Lessons" on it.

This is a cracking modern Ska/Punk track that is great fun to play:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nilebodgers said:

Awesome song. There is a lesson on youtube from "Cambridge Bass Lessons" on it.

This is a cracking modern Ska/Punk track that is great fun to play:

That’s another cracking track, cheers! 

You guys are really adding to my Ska ‘vocabulary’!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have now made another video lesson on Ska bass. 

There are three new Ska Bass Lines in the video and I talk about how to use techniques to create your own Ska bass line. 

Thanks for sharing all your knowledge in this thread. It’s kept me busy listening to a lot of new artists. 

If you have any questions once you  have watched the video, I am happy to help. 

• Like 1