Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic Pedalboard to end all Pedalboards

BassApprentice

35 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Price is coming down on these. Seen them new for 330.

I think that's pretty good. 5 individual stomps and a tuner for just over 50 each would be pretty good business, but this offers a lot more. 

I like multi fx I can play like individual pedals. 

I shall be interested to see if they come down any more any time soon. 

You never been tempted by Helix HX Effects, Stew? You can easily set it up to have as multiple different boards each comprising several pedals. And, unlike the TC, they are pretty regularly available used, for sub £300.

@Al Krow @dannybuoy

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted by the Helix. I know a bunch of you guys, whose judgement I trust entirely, have nothing but praise for them. 

Who can say what attracts us and why? I'm only window shopping right now but the Plethora looks like I might get my head around it easily. 

I haven't looked into Helix or how they function at all. 

I guess, as I'm not actually buying at present, that I don't see it as one versus the other.  This time next week I'm just as likely to be looking at a hotone or headrush or whatever.

I kind of know what I don't use at gigs and what I do. Beyond that I have no strong opinions either way. 

On 20/02/2020 at 18:39, itu said:

Is it possible to put 5 delays in line...

At least three is OK. There seem to be some limitations. Phone is certainly not the best interface to configure the unit, maybe small tweaks is doable. Have to learn more.

The big (!) issue here is to produce delays that are short enough. As sound travels 340 m/s, and the dimensions of the double bass are quite small, the delay times have to be minute.

These are very rough approximations:

1 ms = 1 ft

1.1 ms = 1.1 ft

BBDs (bucket brigade delays) are able to go down to around 20 - 30 ms, and digital systems have certain latency. Latency can be "fixed" indirectly by cutting the direct signal. But: very long latency is not easy for the player if the direct signal is cut (and one signal is also lost). Has anyone played with a MIDI system which tries to detect the lowest notes through a pickup? It is really hard, like playing a pipe organ which has long latency.

If the long latency is a problem - and it is with BBDs - a digital system may work better. If the latency is well under 10 ms, it is far easier to play through the effects system with the direct signal.

Another problem is the amount of delays. One delay equals only one dimension. Double bass has many: thickness, length, width... With three delays it is possible to try to imitate only the first three reverberations of the main three dimensions. But this is a start...

12 minutes ago, itu said:

The big (!) issue here is to produce delays that are short enough. As sound travels 340 m/s, and the dimensions of the double bass are quite small, the delay times have to be minute.

These are very rough approximations:

1 ms = 1 ft

1.1 ms = 1.1 ft

BBDs (bucket brigade delays) are able to go down to around 20 - 30 ms, and digital systems have certain latency. Latency can be "fixed" indirectly by cutting the direct signal. But: very long latency is not easy for the player if the direct signal is cut (and one signal is also lost). Has anyone played with a MIDI system which tries to detect the lowest notes through a pickup? It is really hard, like playing a pipe organ which has long latency.

If the long latency is a problem - and it is with BBDs - a digital system may work better. If the latency is well under 10 ms, it is far easier to play through the effects system with the direct signal.

Another problem is the amount of delays. One delay equals only one dimension. Double bass has many: thickness, length, width... With three delays it is possible to try to imitate only the first three reverberations of the main three dimensions. But this is a start...

I love this. Keep us updated won't you please?