Why become a member? ×

What are the best Clutch albums?

Barking Spiders

I listen to Planet Rock  a fair bit because amid all the same old same old tunes by Rush, Cadillac Three, Led Zep etc they play the odd cracking tune by bands that don't get that much airtime on said station. One of the very few names new to me that have got my interest is Clutch. I see they have 12 albums so which are the best to start with?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I listen to Planet Rock  a fair bit because amid all the same old same old tunes by Rush, Cadillac Three, Led Zep etc they play the odd cracking tune by bands that don't get that much airtime on said station. One of the very few names new to me that have got my interest is Clutch. I see they have 12 albums so which are the best to start with?

My personal favourite is From Beale Street to Oblivion. I'm sure I've heard Electric Worry on Planet Rock on the occasions I've had the station forced on me, and that was one of the main singles from that album.

(But then I've only heard about three of those twelve albums, so I may not be the best source of advice!)

I started listening to Clutch after hearing two tracks on the Earache Records compilation 'Naive', back in 1992.  My favourites are:

Impetus EP, Passive Restraints EP, Clutch, Elephant Riders, Robot Hive/Exodus, Blast Tyrant, Psychic Warfare & Book of Bad Decisions.

All the albums have great songs on though. But some albums suffer from slightly off production (Beale St and Strange Cousins are the worst offenders for me). 

Their live albums are worth listening to as they tend to spice things up a bit. They're an incredible band to watch live, as are their alter-ego The Bakerton Group.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stofferson said:

All of them as they are my favourite band!

But I would start at: Robot Hive exodus, Blast Tyrant,From Beale Street to Oblivion, Psychic Warefare and Book of Bad Decisions!

While working I've been playing Blast Tyrant and From Beale..on Last.FM. Cracking albums. Think I'll be getting me a few CDs though no bargains to be had on Zon or Discogs . Fast becoming my fave rock band right now

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

While working I've been playing Blast Tyrant and From Beale..on Last.FM. Cracking albums. Think I'll be getting me a few CDs though no bargains to be had on Zon or Discogs . Fast becoming my fave rock band right now

Good man! Enjoy!

For me the classic three are their run of albums of Blast Tyrant, Robot Hive/Exodus and From Beale Street to Oblivion. I saw them about 5 times from 2003-2008. They were a phenomenal live band back then. Their newer stuff is still really good but doesn’t really grab me as essential listening. Saw them live in 2015 and while still great it just didn’t have that same level of magic, at least to me.

I do like Elephant Riders too. 

Also, Lionize - who are protege's of Clutch - have a new album coming out soon with Jean-Paul Gaster on drums.

If I could play with any drummer it'd be him - he's such an expressive player, with so much groove

Edited by Graham
Syntax
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stofferson said:

Check out King Hobo too, also featuring Jean-Paul, it's the singer and guitarist from Kamchatka, ex keyboard player from opeth on Hammond then bass and on the first album a really cool session bassist. 

Love King Hobo. And Kamchatka.

Edited by thodrik
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Is it just me that wanted them to bring on a four piece brass section for In Walks Barbarella when they do it live/ 😂

No 🙂

I want to see Clutch live, I've only heard relatively recent stuff, but it's all awesome.

They prove you can play music with a sense of humour without being cheesy. Steel Panther and the Darkness please note...

• Like 1