Why become a member? ×

What is the correct way to measure height of the nut?

wishface

To measure the height of the nut the measurement you want is the clearance of the string above the fretboard, at the nut, best done with feeler gauges.

As to how high it should be? High enough to ensure the string clears the fretboard and frets when plucked open.

Edited by Twigman

My view is to treat it like just another fretted note. Thus, I look at the height between the string and the second or third fret when I am holding down the string against the first fret (on each string) and then compare the height against the non-fretted string on the first and second frets.

Or to put it another, to imagine that the nut is a zero fret. On a fretless neck, of course the nut height will be down to the fretboard.

OK this is what I was told many, many moons ago.

If you stop down any of the strings between the 1st and 2nd frets you should only just be able to slide a cigarette paper between the string and the 1st fret.  Alternatively if you tap the stopped down string over the 1st fret you should be able to hear the 'ting' as they come together.  No 'ting' then the nut is too low - and you've blown it!

G.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, geoffbyrne said:

OK this is what I was told many, many moons ago.

If you stop down any of the strings between the 1st and 2nd frets you should only just be able to slide a cigarette paper between the string and the 1st fret.  Alternatively if you tap the stopped down string over the 1st fret you should be able to hear the 'ting' as they come together.  No 'ting' then the nut is too low - and you've blown it!

G.

That's about right y'know 😃