Why become a member? ×

Woodworking bench build

RichardH

Bloody "proper" work getting in the way of everything.... plus more pressing projects. Still no bench, but this weekend my brother and law and I did some work on the shed to insulate and board it out in OSB

For insulation we used a mix of superquilt and left over rockwool (from the more pressing work we've been doing - setting up another outbuilding to be used as a music/art studio plus crash pad when the kids come back to visit)

IMG_20200926_102018.thumb.jpg.a0e8611f1e49580f3b0ad63e184e8da7.jpg

IMG_20200926_143603.thumb.jpg.fe95c67bd5c1f2d920607fded9e2a59a.jpg

IMG_20200927_152745.thumb.jpg.61818afea378ea93bee78e746b99c46b.jpg

Had to kick the ceiling up a bit on the side where the window and door was, as line of the underside of the purlins once counterbattened took us too close to the window

IMG_20200928_085202.thumb.jpg.af5bee4e907ee7ed5a3dc98c5a8f9321.jpg

IMG_20200928_081945.thumb.jpg.d3d0f010816fac584587f0ff1d017a91.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Here's the completed shed - already in use as we finish off a new door for a different outhouse - that's my brother in law in picture, who has done most of the work really... he's a chippie, so knows what he's doing :)

IMG_20200930_082245.thumb.jpg.fca79d306bbc012e12f3a8b8ccb933a3.jpg

...now I need to decide if I should paint the floor before it gets too covered in crap etc. Seems like epoxy is the way to go, but a lot more hassle.... I will have the ride on mower in this shed, so it will need to cope with wet tyres being stood on it at times.... Had hoped to be able to paint one half then the other, but I think epoxy means clearing the whole space out before starting. Sigh....

• Like 3

9 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Not great, mark up a bit with the wait of a motorbike etc.

A mate of mine had carpet down in his garage!  He'd always wash the machine before putting it away after a ride.

Tiled garage floors are a luxury you might expect if the Victorians rode exotic motorcycles but on a wood floor it just doesn't sound right.

11 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Did the garage floor with Halfords floor tiles... works out quite cheap, any damage, just replace the tile...

Not great, mark up a bit with the wait of a motorbike etc.

Those Halfords mats are loads cheaper than the other garage floor tiles out there - I assume they are less substantial than the others. Can you set shelving etc on them, or are they too wobbly? Also looks like you can't interlock separate sets, is that right? [edit, seen now that they come with edging strips, so ignore that last question!]

Edited by RichardH

13 hours ago, Si600 said:

If you're going to paint it, do it all at once. I meant to paint our garage white inside by moving stuff around to give me room. We moved out with one wall still unpainted. So do it proper like 😉

I know exactly what you mean (and also partly why I'm considering epoxy to avoid the need to do it again in 3 years time) - but with the weather as it is I'd be hard pressed to find a window of opportunity to clear the garage and not get everything soaked, though I do have various tarpaulins I could cover stuff with.

The main reason to paint it is to stop the constant dust that comes off the concrete. Now is the time to do it while the shelving etc is already moved to one side from when we boarded out - so I don't think I would just do half and leave it , as the garage is not set up for use yet anyway. 

I painted our garage floor with the basic screwfix garage floor paint Last year, it’s been great and makes a big difference. I don’t know why I would need to redo it in three years really, but if I do it’s cheap and easy to do. I looked at epoxy and more expensive approaches but decided that for me they didn’t give me much over paint except a smaller wallet. Our garage is a double so the cost differences were multiplied vs Your considerations

• Like 2

Your shed is looking great Richard, I painted my joinery shop floor in this, it’s really hard wearing in normal use , the only thing that marked it was when we dragged a few machines across it , but you can touch it up , otherwise it’s really good 🙂

B7051BAF-A621-4AAA-92E3-FC45BD2ADF59.png

Yeah, I think I need to stop worrying about needing an epoxy - it's just the "if I'm doing it I might as well do it with something super long lasting" thoughts that crowd my brain. Also comments about wet/warm tyres causing paint pick up on non epoxy coatings. Having said that, the mower is a lot lighter than a car, so it may well not be an issue.

Also, I've just been enquiring about epoxy, and it seems that minimum temp for proper curing is 15c - maybe down to 10c, and this ain't the right time of year to be doing that!

I have a load of PVA, so I think I will seal with that first and then go for the Leyland stuff (though the Screwfix no nonsense stuff seems to get good reviews too).

[EDIT] - no, not going to use PVA as on further digging this may not be appropriate. Will thin the first coat of the Leyland stuff with white spirit, and give the floor a good vacuum before starting work.

Edited by RichardH

59 minutes ago, RichardH said:

Yeah, I think I need to stop worrying about needing an epoxy - it's just the "if I'm doing it I might as well do it with something super long lasting" thoughts that crowd my brain. Also comments about wet/warm tyres causing paint pick up on non epoxy coatings. Having said that, the mower is a lot lighter than a car, so it may well not be an issue.

Also, I've just been enquiring about epoxy, and it seems that minimum temp for proper curing is 15c - maybe down to 10c, and this ain't the right time of year to be doing that!

I have a load of PVA, so I think I will seal with that first and then go for the Leyland stuff (though the Screwfix no nonsense stuff seems to get good reviews too).

I used the Leland stuff - I wonder if PVA is needed as if anything the seal on the concrete will stop the paint keying into it. From memory the first coat soaked in a wee bit, and the second coat went Ontop 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

I painted our garage floor with the basic screwfix garage floor paint Last year, it’s been great and makes a big difference. I don’t know why I would need to redo it in three years really, but if I do it’s cheap and easy to do. I looked at epoxy and more expensive approaches but decided that for me they didn’t give me much over paint except a smaller wallet. Our garage is a double so the cost differences were multiplied vs Your considerations

I've read various threads on Pistonheads and the like and the consensus is that if you're parking a car in it then you need to use 2 pack epoxy, because the normal paint type stuff sticks to warm tyres and gets lifted off.

For a workshop where it's just a decorative and dust suppression coat then I wouldn't spend any more than the absolute minimum 🤠

Edited by Si600

4 hours ago, RichardH said:

Those Halfords mats are loads cheaper than the other garage floor tiles out there - I assume they are less substantial than the others. Can you set shelving etc on them, or are they too wobbly?

Got a couple of shelving racks down one side, and a couple of kitchen cabinets with worktop as a bench.

Mats just run under the shelves a bit, cut round the feet.. so not set the shelves on em...

For a tenner get a pack and see, if not doing the whole floor great for an under foot anti fatigue section...

8 minutes ago, Si600 said:

I've read various threads on Pistonheads and the like and the consensus is that if you're parking a car in it then you need to use 2 pack epoxy, because the normal paint type stuff sticks to warm tyres and gets lifted off.

For a workshop where it's just a decorative and dust suppression coat then I wouldn't spend any more than the absolute minimum 🤠

Yep, that's what I reckon. I guess the mower won't end up with hot tyres like a car does, so it will have less impact on the paint, too - as well as being lighter etc. 

2 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Got a couple of shelving racks down one side, and a couple of kitchen cabinets with worktop as a bench.

Mats just run under the shelves a bit, cut round the feet.. so not set the shelves on em...

For a tenner get a pack and see, if not doing the whole floor great for an under foot anti fatigue section...

Pretty much what I was thinking re anti fatigue matting etc. Brother in law was trying to get me to make a duck board for the same reason, but this matting is a load easier ;)

First coat of Leyland Frigate Grey applied to about 70% of the floor - with the weather as it is, there is no way I was going to empty the shed

IMG_20201003_182059.thumb.jpg.e2156ae03843300359642cb513ead678.jpg

Hope to get a second coat down this afternoon and then I can leave it to harden until next weekend, when I might even get to start making the bench!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RichardH said:

Hope to get a second coat down this afternoon and then I can leave it to harden until next weekend, when I might even get to start making the bench!

I missed the fact that the floor was concrete.  I assumed timber.

Forget tiles though.  Now that you've sealed it makes an excellent foundation for some nice parquetry.

Nah.  I'm impressed with what you've done.  Anyone would be proud to have a shed like that.

2 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I missed the fact that the floor was concrete.  I assumed timber.

Forget tiles though.  Now that you've sealed it makes an excellent foundation for some nice parquetry.

Nah.  I'm impressed with what you've done.  Anyone would be proud to have a shed like that.

Ahhh - yes, when "shed" is mentioned, I guess the assumption is that it will be on timber. We keep the ride on mower in there though, so it is really more of a garage (it's single garage size - 3.6m x 6m). 

Forgot to say, this initial coat was thinned with white spirit as per the instructions on the can. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

That's a really, really nice space....

....Knowing my luck, soon to be filled with crap and never to be used as a workshop ever again.

Nearly painted myself into a sticky situation adding the second coat yesterday. It stopped raining, so I opened the big doors to get better light, and thought I would take my boots off (since they were wet and muddy), then paint from the far end out to the doors then close them from the outside once I had re-booted. Of course it started raining again just as I got to the last strip, so I had to close the doors quickly and stand on a narrow strip of unpainted floor waiting for the rain to abate. Thankfully it was only a few minutes so I could open up again, get my boots on and do the last bit before fleeing to the comfort of the house... and other DIY jobs...

IMG_20201004_140148.thumb.jpg.b75d290d7006756fa622dc906a43b001.jpg

I'll give it a couple of days then move the gear over to the painted side and get the other section done. Then I can build the bench!

• Like 3