Why become a member? ×

Question to Phil Jones Briefcase Owners

lowlandtrees

Thinking of getting a PJB Briefcase. I need to be able to take a line out to PA as well as use it on its own as a monitor.  I see that it does XLR to PA in the manual but you can’t use an extension cab without disconnecting speakers/drivers internally.  Is this effective...is there loss of /improved sound quality. I also play double bass.

My main reason for getting the Briefcase is for a mini tour that we are doing using public transport(trains and ferries)

The Briefcase is a moderate output (100w into 4 ohms) but high quality combo for small/acoustic gigs and practice.The reason you cannot use an extension speaker without disconnecting the internal ones is that it cannot run into lower impedances than that provided by the on board speakers. There are limits to what it will drive with the power it has on tap, too. You will need a power amp in addition to your extra cabinet(s) if you want to do that. I had the Suitcase, which was similar - 150w into 4 ohms and four, rather than two on board speakers. Same idea, just a little louder.

Edited by Dan Dare

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

The Briefcase is a moderate output (100w into 4 ohms) but high quality combo for small/acoustic gigs and practice.The reason you cannot use an extension speaker without disconnecting the internal ones is that it cannot run into lower impedances than that provided by the on board speakers. There are limits to what it will drive with the power it has on tap, too. You will need a power amp in addition to your extra cabinet(s) if you want to do that. I had the Suitcase, which was similar - 150w into 4 ohms and four, rather than two on board speakers. Same idea, just a little louder.

Thanks for replying. What about routing it through a PA and using it as a monitor...would this be possible?

Yes you can output to the PA though the DI and still use the briefcase as your monitor. The DI is very good quality. It's definitely a quality over quantity kind of amp, so if you need to be loud (eg. keeping up with a drum kit) I'd look elsewhere. Great for an acoustic ensemble though.

Bear in mind even just the briefcase is pretty heavy. 

I owned one a few years back. Lovely tone and EQ but not very loud for 100W. Comfortable to carry but not ultra light at 28lbs. To use an ext speaker you need to disconnect the internal speakers.

If it's loud and portable you want then I'd say a BF One10 + small class D head is the way to go.

That would be about 20lbs weight and fit in a cajon bag.

Edited by grandad

15 hours ago, lowlandtrees said:

Thanks for replying. What about routing it through a PA and using it as a monitor...would this be possible?

Pleasure. You could certainly send a signal to the PA via the XLR out (that's its purpose) and the Briefcase would still produce sound via its onboard speakers. However, you may need to ask for some bass in the monitors to augment it unless the band is very quiet onstage.

15 hours ago, lowlandtrees said:

How much bigger is the Suitcase in terms of weight and size? I will be carrying the amp together with my luggage and bass on and off of trains an boats and....will probably get a sack barrow

Sorry. Realised I made an error. I had the Flightcase, not the Suitcase. Suitcase is considerably more bulky/powerful/heavier and does give you the option to use an add-on cab. I didn't find my Flightcase had enough oomph to use with a drummer in anything other than rehearsal/very quiet situations, so used additional cab(s) and power amp with it. Unless funds are no object, a Suitcase will be an expensive option. If it was me, I'd consider keeping the Briefcase (which has much the same preamp) and adding a powered cab or power amp and passive cab. You'll get the sound you like and are used to, but more of it and you'll still have a small, portable combo when you need one, 

Edited by Dan Dare

• 3 months later...

Reviving this thread to report on my purchase. We did a very nice tour of Amsterdam plus additional gig in Newcastle....on public transport from Scotland. I ended up buying a Barefaced one10 after recommendations from BCers. It was an excellent choice. Very light and manageable to carry....we trammed/bussed/walked miles and miles without effort. We put an el bass pedal through the cab at the same time through my EA doubler. It easily filled large pub venues. Sound quality and projection excellent although I wouldn’t put it up against a loud drummer...we used a cajon/bass pedal. Highly recommended 

I'd be quite confident in saying 95% of us have gear that FAR exceeds what we actually need. Myself very much included! I like collecting and trying different gear, but I definitely don't 'need' 95% of it! 

If I stripped down to the minimum I needed to do the job, it'd be two 6 string basses (one as back up) with a circa 200w head and something like a 2x10 cab. But that'll probably never happen! :)