Why become a member? ×

POLL - Are bass players the most reliable band members?

Dubs

Are bass players the most reliable band members?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Are YOU the most reliable member of your band?

• Yes, and they all acknowledge how excellently reliable I am and how they are indeed not worthy.
    • Yes, but they don't even notice.
    • No, but they don't even notice.
    • No, but there's nowhere for my amp to go on stage anyway.
    • N/A the bar is set too low in my band to draw any reliable conclusion.

I have ticked the first option, because my solo project is currently my main focus, and everyone involved agrees that I am excellent.

Thinking back to my other band, I must humbly concede that title to our guitarist. I'd previously thought of myself as a particularly patient and dependable person, but I could learn a thing or two from him.

• Haha 1

I am runner-up I think. Lead guitar is the most solid player I know, I do bass/vox. Rythm guitar is a nice guy and always shows up on time but doesn't like to put on a show and doesn't practice much at home. The drummer founded the band...

Could have done with a No, the rest are pretty reliable too. 

I’ve got used to singers and brass players who turn up last minute and hand you a lead to plug in. In the end it’s much better that way, having had band members like that who would otherwise turn up early and either get in the way or get drunk or both, it is the best way to manage them. 

I voted yes for my last band, all very reliable except lead guitar who was always pushing the clock .

no-one really noticed until I left, then they all had to sort, learn and set up the PA, it is a shame it has pretty much landed in the shoulders of the singer, the promo has nearly gone , and I think generally there is a bit more stress in the outfit. They haven’t bothered getting band lighting either , that is too much extra to consider just yet , but the singer has bought a van to be able to carry the stuff he needs to.

Overall they are good guys , who have obviously stepped up to the plate when needed 👍

Bass players do seem to get saddled with setting up the PA, me and the drummer do it while the singer 'networks' I don't mind too much because I can't be doing with talking crap to drunks like he does.

However, Karma, he started an occasional band with his wife, and had to borrow the PA, despite having done over 300 gigs with it he hadn't got a clue, gave him and his wife a quick lesson but it didn't end well, since then I've noticed he only does gigs where the PA is provided 😁

Not really a reliability thing but (as it keeps happening it must be true) I always seem to be the least “committed” 😕

Id never miss a gig, rehearsal, recording or other band commitment, but despite me setting out firmly from day one that work is my priority and music very much a hobby, bands still seem surprised when I tell them I won’t be taking Four weeks off work to go “on tour” in a van round Sweden... 😕

Edited by CamdenRob
  • Like 1

obviously we're massively biased, and even the flakiest band members think that they haven't put a foot wrong no matter how badly they behave, so possibly we're all rubbish and we just don't realise it...

but I do think that there is something in the people that play bass which reflects the role of the instrument in the band - solid, reliable, doing all the heavy lifting and carrying all the melody and the dynamics, but often unobtrusively and in a way that others don't appreciate until it's not there.  So we tend towards being the people who get stuff done

Of course there are outliers and YMMV

8 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

We’re all pretty much as reliable was each other, no issues with any of us (aside from being grumpy middle aged men of course). 

Me, in 8 years I've nrver missed a gig and we gig a lot. Never missed a rehearsal and never been late 

I work for milenials, so I don't know if they even notice.

Blue

6 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

obviously we're massively biased, and even the flakiest band members think that they haven't put a foot wrong no matter how badly they behave, so possibly we're all rubbish and we just don't realise it...

but I do think that there is something in the people that play bass which reflects the role of the instrument in the band - solid, reliable, doing all the heavy lifting and carrying all the melody and the dynamics, but often unobtrusively and in a way that others don't appreciate until it's not there.  So we tend towards being the people who get stuff done

Of course there are outliers and YMMV

You know, here in Milwaukee word gets around pretty fast about guys showing up late to gigs/rehearsals and always blocking dates.

Blue

22 hours ago, Bluewine said:

You know, here in Milwaukee word gets around pretty fast about guys showing up late to gigs/rehearsals and always blocking dates.

Blue

Belfast N. Ireland is a small place and word gets around pretty quickly here too.

As a reliable bass player I've nothing to worry about.  :)

Frank.

For many years, I've been the supplier of the PA as well as bassist, for assorted bands. Of late, I only do PA for the originals band, and even avoid that when we get a gig where the PA is there. That tends to make you pretty reliable. Current covers band, we're all pretty reliable, with the cajon player and me vying for who's there first (he does the PA).