Why become a member? ×

Milt Hinton transcription

Bilbo

Here is my transcription of Milt Hinton's lines on Branford Marsalis' 'Housed From Edward', the opening track from his CD 'Trio Jeepy'.

The track is a conventional twelve bar F blues as follows:

F7/// Bb7/// F7/// ////
Bb7/// //// F7/// D7///
Gm7/// C7/// F7/// ////

It is a great transcripion for early reading practice as it is almost entirely quarter-notes/quavers but it is, nevertheless, interesting and cool for learning your way around a jazz 12-bar. I left out a key signature and wrote it out using accidentals (sharps and flats) as a way of improving reading (it is a chart I have used with students several times).

Enjoy!

Bilbo

This is excellent stuff - my only minor suggestion is that in spite of it being an obvious chord sequence for some of us I think it'd be slightly enhanced in its usefulness by having the name of the chord under or above each bar - sorry if this isn't something you'd normally do - I would just find it useful for spotting cool turnaround ideas and the like - just a small suggestion - otherwise great stuff indeed.

Cheers

Mike

Perfectly reasonable request, Mike. I didn't bother on this one because it is a straight blues but, as you rightly imply, assuming knowledge is the best way to alienate those who lack it. I will address the issue in any future transcriptions.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Rob

That's one of the hardest things to get your head around but the secret is to understand that a bar of sixteenth notes is just four bars of quavers going past very quickly!!! Learn the quavers first and the semis will quickly follow, then the semi-demis and so on. Incremental learning - its the only way. Trying sixteenth notes s frustrating and can be disheartening.

Get your quavers and semi-quavers sorted and the rest will follow.

Argh, I'm too half-cut to play this now, especially on a 7 string, but looks good stuff. Only thing I would suggest would be to stick a time sig at the start- less of an issue with this one but I had to count a lot of little notes to check what time sig your Steve Swallow tune was in- or is all jazz in common time these days?

Thanks for taking the time though, it is definitely appreciated!

[quote name='lowdown' post='364470' date='Dec 27 2008, 09:18 PM']Good stuff Bilbo... :huh:

I presume the 8'th notes are swung and not straight .. ?

Garry[/quote]

Yup, sorry, that's me assuming again.

And as for the time signatures!! :) Doh! I guess I have got lazy and fallen into the 4:4 if not otherwise stated habit. I will address that too!

These all make a lot more sense if you have the recordings but the Housed FromEdward tune is available as an MP3 download so that is an option.

Good advice bilbo thanks. I've only been working at my reading for about 10 days but it's amazing how quickly reading skills improve with a little patience and commitment (in relative terms obviously). I suppose the key is not trying to move too quickly and learning each exercise thoroughly before moving onto the next.

Shame it took me until the age of 40 to realise this!

• 9 years later...