Why become a member? ×

Alleva Coppolo?????

bubinga5

Hey people..has anyone played an Alleva Coppolo, i would like to try out a 5 string, but have never come across one..they are very expensive!! and was wondering if they are that much better than my Sadowsky. I also love the look of Low End jazzes...Has anyone noticed that the Logo on the headstock of Lowend basses is taken from the Average White band logo?!

Never seen an AC on here..

Any experiences???

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='363690' date='Dec 26 2008, 02:10 PM']Hey people..has anyone played an Alleva Coppolo, i would like to try out a 5 string, but have never come across one..they are very expensive!! and was wondering if they are that much better than my Sadowsky. I also love the look of Low End jazzes...Has anyone noticed that the Logo on the headstock of Lowend basses is taken from the Average White band logo?!

Never seen an AC on here..

Any experiences???[/quote]

Have you tried looking around on TB man?

[quote name='bubinga5' post='363705' date='Dec 26 2008, 02:49 PM']Yes Josh, but i like to play before i buy..i dont know anywhere in the uk that i could try one out..allways wondered why there so expensive..they cant be that much better than an RV5, maybe im wrong..[/quote]

Fair enough.

Well I guess The Bass Gallery would probably be one of the very few places that has either sold one or had one in stock, but still I think we need a few more boutique bass shops.

The general concencus is that Alleva's are some of the best custom made Jazzes out there, like Fodera, they have such a long custom order time and the prices are much the same.

I think Nathan Watts endorses them, I may be wrong though.

I believe Alleva-Coppolo basses are made to order, are expensive and take over a year to make. Second hand, they are rare but few do come up on their web site. TB has a thread about them and the only one I've seen in the UK is owned by Paul Turner. Are they worth the hype??

[quote name='chris_b' post='363714' date='Dec 26 2008, 03:05 PM']I believe Alleva-Coppolo basses are made to order, are expensive and take over a year to make. Second hand, they are rare but few do come up on their web site. TB has a thread about them and the only one I've seen in the UK is owned by Paul Turner. Are they worth the hype??[/quote]
would love to play one!! the electronics should be something special to beat a Sadowsky metro at AC prices..
I honestly dont think they can be that far superior to an RV5 in the build quality stakes..

I looked into AC basses and they are a completely different beast from Sadowsky from what I have read and heard. I think the owner/builders name is Jimmy and the concept seems to be to create brand new high end basses that replicate 60s feeling Jazz basses. They use specific finishing and and types of Nitro Cellulose etc for the necks and bodies and are very fussy about how much laquer and paint goes on the instruments so they can breathe etc. They also use the very best and very expensive woods for fingerboards etc too. The EQ again from what I have read is designed to have a vintage Fender quality and not the super modern zingy sound found in many top line basses. Its basically as close to a 60's/70's jazz as they could get but with 5 string options and active EQ.

As has been already said, they are made to order and there is only a very small team building them. From what I have read on Talkbass many people have ditched their high end Sadowsky's etc for Coppollo basses and they are just increasing in popularity. I want one more than anything on earth but doubt you will find one anywhere in the UK. To be honest If I was going to spend that much money on a bass I would spend an extra £300-ish for a last minute flight over to the states to buy/try it.

defo check out talk bass, there is a mega thread with everything you would want to know and that would be the best place to find someone in the UK with one.

Good luck and let us know if you buy one.

[quote name='Nick Brown' post='364073' date='Dec 27 2008, 10:18 AM']Funny how this thread comes up just as I take delivery of an LG5.

I'll post up some pics and impressions in a little while. :)[/quote]

Amazing you definately have to give us a detailed overview and lots of pictures. I have wanted one for ages and intend on saving for one.

• 4 weeks later...

Better late than never !!

OK, I'm usually a bit of a modern bass fan but I always liked the vintage Jazz bass tone. I was never that impressed by the
feel and build of the Fenders I played some years back and didn't want to play in the minefield of vintage (or not) Jazz basses.
So I started looking at possible substitutes for a nice early Jazz bass.

It was at this point I started to look at Sadowsky and Alleva Coppolo basses. The Alleva's seem more aimed at re-creating the
vintage Jazz bass so I started to look around and also discuss options with Jimmy Coppolo. I was always looking for a 5 string
and eventually was set on the path of an LG5 as I've always liked the Rosewood board/Alder body combination. I would have
gone for a new build but by chance I came across an ex NAMM LG5 in a store over in the Netherlands, seemed to me that returning
the bass in Europe would be simpler if I really didn't get on with it.

So it arrived before Xmas and then over the holiday period I really didn't do much apart from watch movies and eat Maltesers.

Now I've put some nice strings on it and had a good play around. It really is a great bass both in feel and sound. The neck is absolutely
beautiful, very fast and very smooth, I understand that Jimmy prefers to use properly old woods as he feels these are more stable and
sound better. This instrument plays very slickly with the low action I prefer, no chokes or rattles all over the neck. Jimmy winds his
own pickups and they sound great, very full toned but still with bags of clarity. The Alleva Coppolo preamp is great too, boost only on bass
and treble but not over egging the pudding even at the fully boosted settings.

Now some pictures :-

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='386118' date='Jan 20 2009, 02:18 PM']I believe Birdy may have been looking into a trade for one as well...?[/quote]

Hi Steve,

My looking into a trade for one is still ongoing as the guy I may be trading with needs to get some checks done on the Fender.

If the trade doesn't happen I have pretty much decided that an AC will be in my future as they say but as to how I afford it and when I haven't figured out yet.

Interestingly there is a new NF5 range just announced at NAMM which looks pretty good. A 'No Frills' version but still built by Jimmy at a quoted cost of $2400 - thats quoted by someone on Talkbass not me.

Sorry I haven't been in touch about our possible deal but there was no news to give as my quest for an AC is still taking place!!

Thanks

Steve

EDIT - Nick your bass is amazing!!!

Edited by birdy

Brilliant, are you officially the first Bass Chatter with a AC? Stunning bass.

Just to confirm I have just been on the AC club thread and there will definately be a cheaper AC bass at around $2400. Apparently you can have any colour as long as it is black (fine by me) it will be an oiled finish neck like a stingray, maple with maple fingerboard, it will not have the american hipshot hardware it will be imported stuff (imported to the states that is)

Jimmy who builds AC Basses has basically said it will be made from what he has spare in the workshop but will have his own hand wound AC pickups which are meant to be amazing and an aguilar preamp. You will not be able to specify anything but its not going to be like the Metro Sadowsky, this will be made by the man himself to exactly the same standards as the $4000+ basses.

Anyway here is the first picture apparently. Its the black one on the right.
[attachment=18946:l_0113c0...ac4b07b7.jpg]

[quote name='ashevans09' post='386513' date='Jan 20 2009, 06:23 PM']Sorry to sidetrack slightly but I thought Natt Watts was a Bossa endorsee?[/quote]

Yeah i have seen him with Bossa but as far as I know, Alleva dont give away basses so he would have bought his like everyone else and in some endorsee deals you dont have to play that specific instrument 100% of the time. I will say one thing, whatever the deal the man has great taste, mind you I think we all would with the money he is on.

Edited by NJE

[quote name='NJE' post='386574' date='Jan 20 2009, 07:13 PM']Yeah i have seen him with Bossa but as far as I know, Alleva dont give away basses so he would have bought his like everyone else and in some endorsee deals you dont have to play that specific instrument 100% of the time. I will say one thing, whatever the deal the man has great taste, mind you I think we all would with the money he is on.[/quote]

Thats not to say he didn't get a discount. I know of a Lakland endorsee who was pretty much paying MIM F prices for his US Lakland.