Why become a member? ×

Bass cab size and options

Friskydingo

Right you knowledgeable and thoughtful people. I have my bass (squire j type) , chosen my amp (aguilar TH350) now I need a cab. 

Looking at used unless there's a bargain somewhere. I play in a two guitar rock cover band but we're not super loud. They bother have 1x12 so not huge stacks

So do I want 2x10, 1x12 or 15, 4x10. The TH350 has only one output so would getting a cab with a link option be beneficial? 

Thanks for your help

Chris 

It depends on budget of course, as a good 210 or 112 such as Barefaced should be plenty in the band set up described. If the pocket doesn’t extend that far then I’d look at a 410 as the greater number of speakers would help given that in all likelihood it wouldn’t be such a good quality cab.

If you're on a tight budget, definitely buying second-hand would make more sense - especially if buying from someone on a trusted forum such as BC.
When buying used elsewhere - just make sure it hasn't been really hammered, and that the speakers are fine at higher volume.
Not sure how your amp would be rated with an 8 ohm cab? But bear in mind, it won't be 350W. You'll either need a 4 ohm cab - or two 8ohm cabs
It can be useful this way, as you have a flexible rig, or you can upgrade one item at a time when finances allow.

I've heard quite a number of BC members talk very highly of Ashdown amps & cabs, certainly as being really good for the money. Better still, that they can go for great prices second-hand.
Keep your eye out on the marketplace here on BC. You haven't put your location on here - so we don't know where you're based.... but it might be worth asking for some friendly BC'ers who are local to you, what they recommend, and even if you could give their amps & cabs a try.... just a thought.

Good luck with your search, and let us know how you get on.

• Thanks 1

I have tried Ashdown and the practice room I play out of has a Ashdown 4x10 combo. I'm not a fan of it. 

I was looking at used and was thinking of getting a cab with a link connection so I could always add another if necessary. 

The TH350 is loud enough. I put it through a 1x15 trace Elliot and 4x10 laney and it kept up with the fender rumble 500. 

I live near Ipswich but happily travel if there's good options 

First of all choose your cab on how it sounds above any other factor. 

I'm not a big fan of the Ashdown sound either. I really want to like them as they are a great company to do business with but I just prefer other stuff. The point is that it's all down to taste and it just isn't mine. Having said that I quite like their 1x12.

I think state of play at the moment is that a 1x15 or a 2x10 will keep up with most bands but a 1x12 needs to be a really good one to cope, but don't get fixated on size or brand, just use your ears and try before you buy.

The other thing to think about is impedance. If you are going to get a single driver and second speaker later then they will both need to be 8ohm speakers. together they will be 4 ohms which is still going to match your amp. If you start with a 4ohm speaker then adding a second is going to be difficult.

Finally think about what you want to use your system for. If you are gigging pubs twice a week you are going to value portability over most other things. carrying a couple of 4x10's every night gets old very quickly. If you are spending a lot of time in a rehearsal room where you can store gear you can get a used 4x10 really cheaply and it will cope with any gig situation. The reason they are cheap is that no-one wants to carry them but if you want something cheap that sounds good …...

• Like 1

Phil's right - about size/weight and using multiple drivers. Many of us prefer to carry several small boxes rather than one large one. At 65, I have little choice. When I was younger, I thought noting of lugging a Bassman 2x15 about, but advancing decrepitude has changed all that. If you don't mind carrying them, there are some excellent cheap large cab's for sale because few want them.

Cheers guys. I'll probably be gigging once a month maybe twice, so lugging to gigs is no problem and I'll use the amp in the practice room.

The one sticking point is the amp will be kept upstairs and dragging that up and down will get old fast if it's 4x10. Unless it's the laney n410 which was ridiculously light. 

I'm in my mid 30s so back should be able to cope for a few more years

I gig in a similar style band to yours, two guitarists with 1x12s and a drummer. My vote would be a  2x10 as this will be loud enough in most situations, and relatively inexpensive and portable. The Laney nexus 2x10 would be worth checking. FWIW I play an Eden 2x10 out of a Laney nexus head (=300W @ 8ohm) and very rarely do I need more. A 1x12  will struggle to keep up at higher volumes.

• Thanks 1

The TH350 uses the 125ASX2 module and that will will give 450+ watts into 4ohms IF cooled correctly. It will also give around 250 into 8R. I suspect it is derated by Aguilar as the box is too small for adequate cooling. That being said it should be loud enough power any of the cabinets mentioned. 

10 hours ago, blisters on my fingers said:

Are you saying the TH350 provides 450+ watts but is poorly designed by Aguilar ?

Does it not have internal fans like the TH500 ?

Not being argumentative just don't understand your point 

No I mean not saying the TH350 was poorly designed. Just that to achieve such a small package, there have to be some compromises.  

It may also be the case that Aguilar’s marketing wanted to differentiate between the TH350 and the TH500. They do use different power units, the TH500 uses the 250ASX2 while the TH350 uses the 125ASX2 modules, 

I am not sure whether the TH500 always had two fans, something in my head says it only had one at the start but don’t quote me on that as I might be confusing them with GK.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...