Why become a member? ×

Table top drums for a beginner?

solo4652

I play with a 3-piece trio, switching between (electric) bass and miced-up cajon, depending on which song we're playing. I'm looking for something just a little more advanced than the cajon to extend the beat sounds we have available. Shopping list:

Table top drums or drum pads.

Portable.

Can gig it be playing it through the desk, or my bass combo.

Simple - I am a beginner with drums! 4-pad to begin with, maybe.

Simple - probably no need for foot pedals at this stage.

Simple - no need for loads of complex samples and built-in rhythms.

Inexpensive. Budget is £100 max.

First web trawl throws up these. Any other suggestions?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016KNIJHG?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAIDFS7VHPOOMSWYMA&linkCode=gs2&creativeASIN=B016KNIJHG&tag=edadvisor-21&creative=165953&camp=2025

https://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and-Percussion/DD40-Electronic-Drum-Pads-Pack-by-Gear4music/16DR?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=54927d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=582794439500&gclid=CjwKCAjwtuLrBRAlEiwAPVcZBqjvgzCr86dOkjCI5OYL4ZfMz3qVSTosEt2t_eO6VgiRb9eM5MUKfRoC-TYQAvD_BwE

Errrm, you lost me with " iOS iPad drum apps"! We'd like to keep the performance as live as possible; "Everything you hear is being played by us, here, now, and live" - that's why I'm looking for an "instrument" that the audience can see being played in front of them.

Tapping on an iPad screen isn't quite the same as hitting a pressure senstitive pad with a stick. I think you might break the screen if you tried that!

You could use the MIDI out to an adapter on the iPad though if the drum sample engine on the iPad was better than what came with your drum pad. Which may well be the case if you get a cheap unit.

They're good for learning on, I have an old Yamaha DD-55. More pads than those other two, plus it comes with foot pedals. But the built in sounds are probably a lot better on the more recent devices.

Edited by dannybuoy

I bought a Yamaha DD65 to trigger samples through midi and I hated the playing experience. The pads were too small and the clacking of sticks on ABS plastic when you miss the centre of the pad drove me crazy.

I then bought an Alesis Sample Pad and I loaded the samples onto an SD card. That was a much better playing experience as there isn't as much plastic to accidentally hit since the rubber pads are larger. It also seemed to respond to dynamics much better. They go for £70 secondhand on ebay.

Edited by DanOwens

• 3 weeks later...

Last Christmas, Lidl did a small, portable electronic drum "kit" thingy.

My wife bought it for our son. I was dubious, but, it's actually pretty good for the money. Decent sounds, has foot pedals for Bass & Hi-Hats, 3 tom pads, 1 snare pad & 2 cymbal "stands".

All in one handy "table top" package, and reasonably priced.

Worthwhile checking Lidl or Aldi in the run up to Christmas.

1 hour ago, Skybone said:

Last Christmas, Lidl did a small, portable electronic drum "kit" thingy.

My wife bought it for our son. I was dubious, but, it's actually pretty good for the money. Decent sounds, has foot pedals for Bass & Hi-Hats, 3 tom pads, 1 snare pad & 2 cymbal "stands".

All in one handy "table top" package, and reasonably priced.

Worthwhile checking Lidl or Aldi in the run up to Christmas.

Does it have MIDI?