Are 5 string basses worth the effort?

FWB

9 minutes ago, Twigman said:

What do you get with a 5?

5 extra notes

Several extra ounces

A requirement for longer fingers

I'm out

Sorry but you dismiss 5 string basses without understanding them. They are more than a few low notes as is regularly explained every time these negative 5 string posts come up. 5 string basses will find the "holes" and short cuts in all techniques. Short fingers just means you need a better technique.

7 minutes ago, Twigman said:

I could probably get away with two 3 string basses to play my set.

One strung EAD - the other ADG

I have numbers that I play on 2, 3, 4 and 5 strings. So the most practical bass for me is a 5 string bass, rather than a selection of 2, 3, 4 and 5 string basses.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chris_b said:

5 string basses will find the "holes" and short cuts in all techniques.

I know what you're saying - only last night I was struggling to record a line which required me to go from the 7th fret on the A string to the 3rd on the E when perhaps the 8th on the B would've been easier - but I don't often find myself needing to avoid a stretch enough to fork out for a 5er. - i was up at the 7th on the A because of what went before - don't tell me I should've been at 2nd on the D

Edited by Twigman

20 minutes ago, Twigman said:

I know what you're saying - only last night I was struggling to record a line which required me to go from the 7th fret on the A string to the 3rd on the E when perhaps the 8th on the B would've been easier - but I don't often find myself needing to avoid a stretch enough to fork out for a 5er. - i was up at the 7th on the A because of what went before - don't tell me I should've been at 2nd on the D

Tastes and requirements change too. My career went Metal>party duo>original blues rock>complex classic rock>pro tribute act>party function band. The function band means I'm doing a lot of pop, funk and synthbass so a 5 was inevitable. If I ever go back to rock and bues I might revert to my 4s.

Yeah, they are worth it if you want one.  They offer both advantages and some disadvantages.  You really won't know until you try one.  I played them for years but eventually realized that for me the disadvantages outweighed the pluses.  My personal recommendation, should you decide to get one, is to go for a 35" scale version and if possible a composite neck.  The longer scale and composite neck give the low B great clarity and help with the "floppy" feel the B string often has.  My fiver of choice was a Modulus Quantum which I still use when I need a five string.  

FWIW the only 34" scale five strings I liked were an Alembic Essence and a Fender Roscoe Beck.  But neither of them equaled the Modulus Quantum for a solid and focused B string.

On 20/09/2019 at 18:29, chris_b said:

If someone said they had a floppy B string I'd ask how hard they hit/plucked/pulled the strings.

I've played basses were the B string didn't sound quite right, but I've not seen a floppy B string yet.

Has anyone with a light right hand touch experienced the floppy B string thing?

So true.  The B string requires a light touch!  Lighter gauge and a longer scale helps.  I could not get a sound I liked out of a low B on an otherwise wonderful StingRay 5 due to this issue.  Same with a rare Steinberger L-2 (5).  In all fairness, that one was designed more for a high C than the low B.  

7 hours ago, Twigman said:

What do you get with a 5?

5 extra notes

Several extra ounces

A requirement for longer fingers

I'm out

My lightest bass is my fretless 5-string. Unless you count my 5-string Kala SUB, of course.

19 hours ago, JMarkD said:

Yeah, they are worth it if you want one.  They offer both advantages and some disadvantages.  You really won't know until you try one.  I played them for years but eventually realized that for me the disadvantages outweighed the pluses.  My personal recommendation, should you decide to get one, is to go for a 35" scale version and if possible a composite neck.  The longer scale and composite neck give the low B great clarity and help with the "floppy" feel the B string often has.  My fiver of choice was a Modulus Quantum which I still use when I need a five string.  

FWIW the only 34" scale five strings I liked were an Alembic Essence and a Fender Roscoe Beck.  But neither of them equaled the Modulus Quantum for a solid and focused B string.

Best ones I’ve ever played were my 34” scale Seis. I’ve never liked any 35” or 36” scale I’ve played as much.

23 hours ago, tauzero said:

My lightest bass is my fretless 5-string. Unless you count my 5-string Kala SUB, of course.

When I try a 5 that's 7.5lb, with a slim 38mm neck (think Geddy Jazz slim - all my basses have these dimensions), I'll consider one.

I'll wait. 🙂

4 hours ago, 4000 said:

Best ones I’ve ever played were my 34” scale Seis. I’ve never liked any 35” or 36” scale I’ve played as much.

Never heard of Seis.  It is a matter of personal taste to be sure.  The downside of the longer scales for me is the size and weight.  I am most comfortable with a 34" scale.  The Alembic Essence is a 34" but it weighs a TON.  The Roscoe Beck, also 34" is quite heavy as well.  As much as I enjoyed playing five strings, as I've aged I seem to prefer nice light 34" scale fours!  😀

On 01/10/2019 at 22:59, chris_b said:

Does that have a low B? What do you think of the sound? Is it a "universal" instrument or does it sound better on certain types of music?

Yes, low B. Sound is very deep and full. I haven"t experimented with types of music yet but I would say folk or jazz or acoustic rock rather than metal.

• Like 1

There's really no much extra effort needed for playing a 5er, you will get used in a matter of weeks. I fully adopten in less than a month and never looked back. 

Two things has to be considered:

-Plucking technique for B string is a little different and you will have practice this for some time. But after so many years of not playing you will have to work on your technique anyway. 

-you will have to mute the B string constantly

Other things to be considered:

5strings are heavier, more expensive and it can be difficult to find a good piece, even among more expensive basses. The best way is to play before buying. 

B string can often be floppy but this can be caused by a bad plucking technique also - many bassist play 5 stringers but don't use B string equaly, in this cases poor plucking techique is often the main reason of "floppy B" 

Well from my limited experience, the main difference is that the 5 feels quite different and makes you play with a very different left hand technique.

Surprisingly easy to come up with different inversions or positions that use the low string but I think the e-string sounds brighter and better for E to A than the B string, so i don't entirely buy the 'across the neck' argument although I nearly always play across rather than up and down.

Don't notice a big difference with muting except you can't use your thumb on the e-string.

Some problems with jumping up the neck and across and mistaking the A for the D string because my brain is saying 'third string down'!

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Some problems with jumping up the neck and across and mistaking the A for the D string because my brain is saying 'third string down'!

See I had a problem going to a 4 string, for the same reason, until I started thinking '2nd string up', then it was easy (until I gigged with a 6 string and messed up!)

• Haha 1