Why become a member? ×

Are 5 string basses worth the effort?

FWB

Hello everyone!

I'm new here and returning to bass after some years off. I see more and more 5 strings appearing and was wondering if they're worth exploring? I'm planning to play mainly in locals jams and hopefully establish a covers bands with some former colleagues in the near future.

I'm interested in something a bit more modern having played Fender basses for many years, many years ago.

What is worthy of consideration? Should I be concentrating on any other specific details?

I value quality and I'm happy to invest in a good instrument if it meets my criteria.

FW

Edited by FWB

Do you know what kind of covers you are doing?

How often is the B string going to be used? If it’s heavy on R&B and pop then yeah it’s a good shout, or maybe something like drop D tuning where you tune the E string to D instead and that can cover some territory, and is really easy especially with a Hipshot D tuner.

I think 5 string basses are easier to play to be honest! You can keep the same shapes and fingerings in a larger number of positions, though I don't think about that so much nowadays - it's all natural. I never regret having the 5th string there, but sometimes regret not having it on a 4 string. In terms of versatility between modern and vintage I'd go for a Sadowsky Metro Express,  Fender 5 string jazz with active electronics, or a Yamaha BB 735 series, for both those modern and vintage sounds in one bass. Any of those will do anything you need in any situation (though I know Fender are what you've said you want to move away from).

• Like 6

Someone said a while ago, that exotic boutique instruments are at the moment various and relatively cheap. On the other hand low quality Fenders have hefty price tags, thanks to Nirvana et al.

If you are sure that 5 is your thing, go for it and take some time to get used to that fifth element. Remember that the string spacing may be different and there are several longer scale instruments in 5's and up. 35" is pretty common.

It also depends on how large a neck profile you are comfortable with, plus the additional weight a 5 can bring. Both those are important to me, more important than the need for the low B. As has been mentioned above, a Hipshot Drop D tuner gives me all the flexibility I need; I have one fitted to all my gigging basses (and I play all sorts of music). YMMV, IMHO, etc, etc...however, I'd definitely be going to a music shop and trying some out...

Are 5 string basses worth the effort? For you? Don't know. For Me? Absolutely.

IMO 5 sting basses are very flexible, versatile and you can play any bass line on one. If you approach the switch over in a positive frame of mind then any effort will be worth it.

A move to 5's will find any holes or short-cuts you've been getting away with for years. It will test you to improve your technique, but in the end this can be the best move of your bass playing career.

• Like 4

With things like fives,sixes and fretless I reckon it's always worth a go just to see how you get on.

I'm pretty sure I'll get a six at some point even though I realise it's going to require quite a big step up in the correct technique stakes.

I've already got most of the basic skills needed to play these instruments to a reasonably proficient level, theoretically at least the rest is just familiarisation and practice, so why wouldn't I give them a go?

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

I've often fancied a 5, but worked out I wouldn't need the additional low end extension very much, so decided to save my pennies. I tried a few a couple of years back and the best, by quite a large margin - far superior to a US Fender Jazz 5 that I tried at the same time - was a Lakland Skyline (Lakland's budget offering).

I went many years playing solely five string basses. I found one I was comfortable with and then committed 100% and sold my four string basses so that I had to get used to it.

A lot of people think it’s about the low notes and this was never really the case for me. Yes having a lower octave of some notes was handy like an Eb as I used to play a lot of soul stuff, but it was mostly about playing across the neck and not having to drop down to the first few frets to get an F,F#,G etc.

The soul band I played with changed keys a lot and I found the 5 incredibly useful in that situation. A lot of the songs we played used open strings in the original key so it was only a tiny adjustment to change the key and still keep those nice low notes where they should be rather than go higher.

Get one and play it exclusively for 3 months and see how you feel when the novelty of the new bass has worn off.

• Like 3

In my experience, I have never heard a 5 string Jazz Bass I actually liked. The low B string just sounds weak and floppy with a single coil pickup. I just don’t think they are capable of handling that low end without sounding muddy. I would recommend looking at basses with humbuckers 👍🏽

I play 5 string and 4 string basses. 

I find it easier to "think" over 5 strings when improvising and reading  as you can stay in position more. I enjoy playing both, I think it depends on the music you are playing. 

I tend to use different basses for different styles. I've found that in my experience 5 strings sound different to a 4 string in drop D, most notably in rock music. 

I think if I had to choose I would go for 5 strings altho I'm in love with my limelight p bass at the moment, just wish it had 5 strings! 

Hi FWB and welcome to Basschat. My BC name might be a bit of a clue as to which 5-string bass I'd personally recommend ( ;) ). Although I do play 4-string and also 6-string basses plus fretless (see my signature pic below), I have to say the SR5 has been my go-to bass for the last 20+ years and does just about everything I need it to do (i.e., Prog/Rock, Jazz/Blues, Soul/Funk, Country). Admittedly, it's a tad weightier than some of the newer 5-er's out there -- and there are certainly a whole bunch to choose from (check out Spector, Lakland, Yamaha to name just three) -- but I guess it's a case of nipping down to your local bass emporium and trying out a few.

One thing about 5-strings - it's a bit like bass in general. People may not always notice it, but you sure miss it when it's not there! :)

P.S. - Let's also not forget the option to string a 5'er the other way (i.e., EADGC). For those who want the higher end covered. Hmmm.... 'cat' and 'pigeons'...?! ;)

Edited by Stingray5
  • Like 2

I was intending to use a 4 string in my band, but with the mix of songs with some in Eb, it's just easier to go with the 5 string and not have to retune between songs. You have to rewire your brain for some songs (those in F get suddenly easier) but with the practice you'll see the benefits.

For me it depends on the musical style. For rock, blues and slap I generally use a 4 string (with a hipshot for drop D). For pop and funk a 5 string is essential as I am often replicating synthesiser basslines in a lower register than a 4-string.  I also like a tight 16.5 mm string spacing on a 5 (a Warwick Streamer) for fast fills and licks, although it's a pig to slap. I actually find it much easier to play than a 4.

Other benefits - double octave arpeggios across the neck, much easier to transpose songs and a nice handy thumb rest for when I'm not playing the low B!

I was nervous at first when I switched, but I had no problems at all. I could play all my 4-string lines straight away, just took a few weeks to realise all the extra benefits.

Edited by Max Normal

I personally think 5 string basses are a no brainer and great to play in any situation. Why not have that low B.? You can play stuff without moving position too much. Use it as a thumb anchor. You also have those low notes if you choose to use them. Great for chords as I have a 24 fret 34"scale Jazz. There is not much you can't do with them.Unless you require a high C of course. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the previous posters. Your three-note per string patterns present themselves so nicely with that extra string and having string platforms for octaves across a whole three string x three notes scale shape is great. Need a good bass though so the tone doesn't change between the 'E' and 'B' strings.

So to the OP - Are 5 strings worth it? Yes absolutely!

I actually started on a six (a Mk I Yamaha TRB) and for a long time found it easier than a five-string. Less shifting, access to chords etc. I mainly play Ps these days and while I love my 61 and 64, my 5-string Dingwall Super P might just be the best bass I’ve played and owned. I feel like it could handle just about any gig. 

On 11/09/2019 at 22:12, acidbass said:

In my experience, I have never heard a 5 string Jazz Bass I actually liked. The low B string just sounds weak and floppy with a single coil pickup. I just don’t think they are capable of handling that low end without sounding muddy. I would recommend looking at basses with humbuckers 👍🏽

I think this is a jazz pickup thing entirely. I haven't heard a 5 string jazz bass I liked that much either, but I have several 5 strings with single coils and they sound massive, so I don't think it is the concept, it is just specifically a fender thing.

Use to play a 5 string when I was depping with a band very similar to my own, but with songs in different keys. It helped that I could keep the same fingering no matter what key. 
These days I have no real need for a 5 string, but I do have a couple of low end (but decent) hanging around as I do enjoy playing them. I just don’t need them for the band. 
I would recommend looking at the Sire or Yamaha range if money is an issue. No need to go boutique or high end to get a decent one. 

• Like 3