Why become a member? ×

Are SVT cabs better than SVT amps?

la bam

I've played through loads of amps and cabs - loads.

I do love the svt sound, but what I have found recently is that svt amps dont always sound great when used with different cabs. Yet, every amp I've played through an ampeg 8x10 cab sounds amazing. (well, in honesty, average on their own but amazing in a band mix).

I put my helix and quilter through an ampeg 8x10 fridge last night and it was the best sound I've had for ages. So much so I didnt use the svt head.

So, is the ampeg magic actually the cab?

Given that they use bog standard Eminence drivers in a heavy, sturdy box, I think it's probably the fact that you have eight 10" drivers, all working well within their limits, that makes the sound. 8x10s do have a satisfying weight. A rehearsal room I use has a Peavey 8x10 and it has that effortless oomph, whatever head you use it with. Wouldn't like to have to carry it, though.

I'm somewhat the opposite, I like the voicing and EQ design of the Ampeg valve heads, but so far I've not been all that into the Ampeg 8x10 cabs I've had the chance to use.  And that includes using my own PF-50T and GK MB200 through an 8x10 or my own pair of single 12" cabs - the 8x10 sounds immediately bigger, but seems a bit indistinct at the top. I mean, I can easily work with it, but it's just not quite what I'd look for if putting together a rig from scratch. 

So if I had both the need and budget for a big rig, an SVT or V4B with alternative cabs would be high among my considerations.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

7 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

The magic is eight tens, not Ampeg. The next best thing is a pair of 2x10 or 2x12, vertically aligned. Half of the 'magic' is a lot of cone area, the other half is having the uppermost drivers up high where you can hear them.

Love my double SVT210AV stack!

4 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I think you’re like me, I just love the sound of Ampeg cabs that have 10 inch drivers in them. I’ve used a variety of them, with a lot of different amp heads and they’ve always sounded great, just a shame I can’t lift any of them.

The SVT210AV weighs less than 12kg. It's the lightest cab I've ever picked up!

I'm the exact opposite. love svts, but really cannot get on with the permenant distortion present in an ampeg svt 8x10 (the speaker baskets are stamped not cast meaning they are not stiff, so actually bend a little, but give you "that" sound.)

I do love an Ampeg fridge for rock/blues, but for high volume clean stuff, its a no from me :)

MY RIG!!!.jpg

Edited by roonjuice

I've still yet been unable to really push my 410 to anything as loud as I'd like (moaning band members) and my CL beyond 3, so I'd love to really crank it in a gig situation to hear what it can really do, but even at relatively low volume there's a warmth and creamy quality I've never had in any other head, although to be fair I've not bought anything that new for several years now.

My cab is a USA one, doubt it makes much difference, I think there's a fair bit of snake oil around cabs and amps.

Agreed. It's far from a normal 8x10.

I also believe it has some weird settings re frequencies, where it doesnt go anywhere near as low as you think it would.

I think it's the cab (restrictions/limits) that really help it sit in a mix beautifully, without over powering everything.

On 20/09/2019 at 14:38, la bam said:

Agreed. It's far from a normal 8x10.

I also believe it has some weird settings re frequencies, where it doesnt go anywhere near as low as you think it would.

I think it's the cab (restrictions/limits) that really help it sit in a mix beautifully, without over powering everything.

I had one of the first painted Trace 4x10s, which was sealed and only 200w handling. It had bark and mid punch for days. To this day it was the best-sounding cab I’ve ever played through, for my style. If it hadn’t been for my bad back and the weight I’d never have sold it. Leigh Gorman and Mark King used to use the 8x10 version.

Had great results with SVT heads and cabs, apart from the 8x10” which I thought was too muddy. 

Played a festival date last year where the rig was an SVT head and a SVT 6x10, I remember that VERY fondly 😍

AF959AF3-33B1-4E0F-B9C1-F613DBCF0B16.thumb.jpeg.b5c359b8f3afe0e7d3b6b8d1e3fb1ff5.jpeg

Edited by paul_5

I played an old (80s I think - it didn't have a working Di, I remember that) SVT / 8x10 and it was a very good sound. Not super clean at the top, but the way it compressed made it very clear and punchy.  I believe these are effectively 4 x 2x10 in construction though (yes?). Individual compartments. I played an SVT head into a fairly broken Ashdown 8 x 10 and it was at least the best sound I had achieved in that room. I often find 4 x 10 cans to be too muddy and 2 x 15 cabs to be far superior, however I'm certain this is due to where the speaker is pointing relative to my head and I suspect the SVT magic is a combination of plenty of power, plenty of speaker headroom, the design on the enclosure - and the electromechanical coupling of those drivers to the enclosure(s) - and the fact that several speakers are up near your head.