Why become a member? ×

J Tone big double bass pickup

Trimmo91

Just wanted to share some love for this pickup.

Having used a realist copperhead for a few years I stumbles upon this pickup that I had in my spares box. Hooked it on and fired her up and I'm selling my realist as a result.

Running through my Sansamp Paradriver it provides a really focussed thumpy tone excellent for rockabilly/ swing.

Anyone else using a jtone and loving it?

What other pickups from him have you used?

Edited by Trimmo91
  • Like 1

• Trimmo91 changed the title to J Tone big double bass pickup

I'm considering modding my bridge to add a tension screw as my Big Single is so susceptible to pressure changes that it becomes a little inconsistent in my sound. Some gigs its rich and bassy but other times its a bit thin and middy. I'm using a variety of preamps so it isn't an impedance thing.

I used one for several years, and it has a thick, solid sound that's easy to work with.  It does perhaps lack a little clarity and detail compared to the KNA DB-1 pickup I replaced it with, but for some styles I could be quite happy with that sound.

Mine developed an intermittent crackly distortion on loud notes eventually, and once I was certain it was the pickup, I dissected it to have a look.  Turns out it uses an element made from a thick ceramic material which had cracked on mine.  I'm sure no pickup is indestructible, but I'd be cautious about squeezing it too hard in the bridge wing. 

J Tone is simply the best Upright Piezo you can buy for the price. Nothing comes close. All piezo pickups need just the right amount of pressure to work correctly. Opening up or shimming the gap in your bridge is crucial to getting a good tone. J Tone Pickups are built using quality components. I am running one on one of my basses. It sings!😀😀

I've been using a J-Tone for a couple of years now and I like it - it gives a good, even, usable tone and it's far less sensitive to placement than the Rev Solo II that I was using before. It sounds more refined IMO than the BassMax as well.

I'd agree with @Beer of the Bass that it lacks a bit of definition, although I actually spent some time working with the EQ on my amp and it's a lot better in this regard. I'm thinking of getting a KNA DB-1 to see if it has a touch more 'refinement' than the J-Tone but either way, I'd recommend the J-Tone as a good reliable (and inexpensive) piece of gear.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just strung up my bass with SBW Dirty Guts and here is the end result.

Chain is 1980's Hungarian Hybrid > SBW deluxe dirty guts > JTone big double bass pickup > Sansamp Paradriver DI (rumble filter not engaged, EQ flat except for a boost on the bass and blend 100%) > Focusrite Saffire 6 USB interface.

Would like to know your thoughts. I'm trying to nail a 1940's RnB / Jump Blues type sound (Whynonie Harris, Big Joe turner). Do you think I'm close?

I have a KNA (Thomann branded Fire and Stone) DB-1 Pickup arriving in the next few days so will compare it to the JTone.

JTone SBW Dirty guts.wav

Edited by Trimmo91