Why become a member? ×

Why are there so few 5string precision bass'?

GisserD

Yeah, I think it's one of those funny, neither one-nor-t'other configurations - a bit like how the P-90 sounds like a humbucker but is actually an overwound single-coil, I think the split-coil P is humbucking but has an output level closer to a single-coil.

I'm actually not sure whether standard Js are HB or SC! They certainly sound more like singles, but I could be entirely wrong, especially as they do typically have two poles...

The original pickups in my j bass were single coil for sure.  The two being wound in different directions and having opposite polarity magnets.  Turn one pickup off and lots of hum results.  The delanos are silent.

The sound I think comes from the narrow aperture rather than the singlecoiliness per se.  So you can make a humbucker that sounds close to a regular single coil .. trad humbuckers ( stingrays, Wals etc ) have a wider aperture.

10 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Yeah, I think it's one of those funny, neither one-nor-t'other configurations - a bit like how the P-90 sounds like a humbucker but is actually an overwound single-coil, I think the split-coil P is humbucking but has an output level closer to a single-coil.

I'm actually not sure whether standard Js are HB or SC! They certainly sound more like singles, but I could be entirely wrong, especially as they do typically have two poles...

Standard Js are single coils- but in the standard implementation, one is RWound/Rpolarity and effectively hum-cancels the other provided both volume controls are at the same level.

A 5 string will always sound a little different than the exact same 4 string version, higher mass, wider neck etc all impact the tone a little. Same with other pickup routings.

The best 5 string Ps I have heard are light with a shallower than normal P neck. My theory is that this offsets it being a 5er a little.

Lull P5, FBass VF series P5 both I felt sounded amazing. But perhaps a little too “custom”.

Edited by HazBeen

29 minutes ago, chris_b said:

He was trying to sell G&L basses at the time, so I guess he would say that, wouldn't he.

He was right IMO! 

I think it’s mainly about tradition - if you play a P bass for many people it’s about going back to basics, and being proud of it. I guess it’s like putting air conditioning in a classic car. Part of the charm is the limitation. 

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

He was trying to sell G&L basses at the time, so I guess he would say that, wouldn't he.

He would but he was a constant tinkerer, and this is what he had come up with with another 20 years experience so I think he meant it. If you look at all his basses there was a constant evolution going on. 

And yes, I would say he was right.

22 hours ago, HazBeen said:

A 5 string will always sound a little different than the exact same 4 string version, higher mass, wider neck etc all impact the tone a little. Same with other pickup routings.

The best 5 string Ps I have heard are light with a shallower than normal P neck. My theory is that this offsets it being a 5er a little.

Very true, which is also why some 4-string versions of 5'ers (TRB as per my previous post) also don't seem to work as well. So many variables influence how and instrument sounds, feels and plays; we have a habit of focussing on PUPs, bridges, strings etc, but there are occasions when switching these can't change the aspects of tone that are a function of the design and dimensions of the instrument. 

• Like 1