Why become a member? ×

What Wax?

ped

Hi folks

I'm looking for the right cleaner/conditioner for this bass. The bass is oil finished, satin to the touch. Here's a close up of the body so you can see what I mean:

Screenshot 2019-09-10 at 12.44.54.png

Ken Smith makes a wax polish for these but it's hard to get in the UK and ordering from the USA seems a bit silly when postage costs more than the product. 

Can anyone recommend a good product I can use on it to keep it looking good? I assume a wax of some sort but don't know where to start - people say it should have this in, that you shouldn't use it on that, and there seems to be a lot of smoke and mirrors when it comes to it. I'll be looking to use the same product on the back of the bass, including the neck (though not the fingerboard, which is ebony)

Cheers

ped

The trouble with wax is that absolutely nothing will stick to it other than more wax. Oil or lacquer or whatever is out of the question after you've used it, it gets into the pores of the wood and gets far deeper than you imagine. It looks wonderful and shiny for a while but finger marks so easily.

If it has never been waxed then and you want a bit of a sheen to it then I would recommend Teak oil, just a little and often rub it in and buff it with a cloth and let it dry overnight. Over a few applications it will develop a decent shine and be far harder wearing than wax could ever be. Teak oil is better than the likes of Danish oil because it has less additives that will eventually build up and fill the pores which play a big part in how that wood looks (as would wax eventually too)

Blimey that was quick - it’s here already!! Didn’t know I had Bass Direct Prime! 

I’ve applied a little wax to the bass and it looks stunning, I think the wood was thirsty! I don’t know it’s history but it’s been in Portugal for a while and might not have had a drink since 1984...

Cheers

ped

• Like 1