Jump to content
Left leaderboard
roonjuice

I LIKE HEAVY BASSES

Recommended Posts

I would say they don’t bother me rather than I actively like them...

Given a straight choice between two otherwise identical basses, going for the lighter one is a no brainier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tone.

Every lightweight bass sounds like a lightweight bass.  There is something special in the lows/low mids with a heavy body with a good dense bit of wood.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kev said:

Tone.

Every lightweight bass sounds like a lightweight bass.  There is something special in the lows/low mids with a heavy body with a good dense bit of wood.

You haven't heard any of mine, then.

One of my bands is currently doing 2 x 1hr+ sets. I'd be permanently bent double if I'd used heavyweights.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kev said:

Tone.

Every lightweight bass sounds like a lightweight bass.  There is something special in the lows/low mids with a heavy body with a good dense bit of wood.

I have an 11lb ash body p bass with flats which sounds lightweight, lack of lows/low mids compared to my 7lb basswood body with half rounds, which has tonnes of low-end and growl.

My experience is that some basses and strings go together, and some just don't work, weight doesn't seem to be a factor, imho.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kev said:

Tone.

Every lightweight bass sounds like a lightweight bass.  There is something special in the lows/low mids with a heavy body with a good dense bit of wood.

My Sandberg Superlight sounds better than any heavy Fender Jazz I've ever had, and I've had a few.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

My Sandberg Superlight sounds better than any heavy Fender Jazz I've ever had, and I've had a few.

...my bad.  Remove Fender from the equation 😂

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kev said:

Tone.

Every lightweight bass sounds like a lightweight bass.  There is something special in the lows/low mids with a heavy body with a good dense bit of wood.

I think that is nonsense, to be honest.  I've had more than my fair share crap heavy basses and currently own some superb lightweight ones. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally prefer basses that have a bit of weight to them purely for how they feel on the strap.

However as far as tone/sounds go, my 8.5lb Stingray Special sounds just as immense as my 12lb Aria SB-R150.

Not sure I'd fancy 16lbs much though. 😮

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, roonjuice said:

I'm good  with a 16lb'er........

That's great. Blokes like us need blokes like you to sell our old basses to.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything less than 8lbs and I feel like I’m playing some form of fragile toy. I suppose I’m lucky really, current band never likely to do more than an hours set, and even then thats not a regular occurrence, so 9lb basses not that much of a problem. Don’t miss the weight of my 10.5lb 70s Precisions though. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paul S said:

I think that is nonsense, to be honest.  I've had more than my fair share crap heavy basses and currently own some superb lightweight ones. 

I didn’t mention crap.  I said that lightweight basses sound lightweight. The resonance is different, naturally, and the deader deeper tone of a heavy bass can’t be quite replicated, in my opinion.

But no, not crap, wasn’t even implied (my main gigging bass I would class as lightweight)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

You haven't heard any of mine, then.

One of my bands is currently doing 2 x 1hr+ sets. I'd be permanently bent double if I'd used heavyweights.

I haven’t, what is it about your basses that makes them sound “heavy”?  I’d be interested if our definitions are the same.

Edited by Kev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kev said:

I haven’t, what is it about your basses that sounds “heavy”?  I’d be interested if our definitions are the same.

I think you're the one with some explaining to do 🙂

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

I think you're the one with some explaining to do 🙂

Huh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kev said:

Huh?

OK.

I've been playing bass for 30 years. Heavy ones, light ones. Some have sounded authoritative, rich and ballsy. Some sounded like lettuce leaves being thrown at a bean bag. 

There's been absolutely no correlation with regards to weight.

The ones I have now are on the lighter side, and they sound like the former.

That's my take on it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Anything less than 8lbs and I feel like I’m playing some form of fragile toy. I suppose I’m lucky really, current band never likely to do more than an hours set, and even then that's not a regular occurrence, so 9lb basses not that much of a problem. Don’t miss the weight of my 10.5lb 70s Precisions though. 

Why do I find myself invariably agreeing with everything you say Mr 196? Must be our age... 😉

We similarly never do more than an hour long single set, although we often do 2 x 1 hours during the course of a gig.

Weirdly I actually notice the weight more at home when practising than during a gig. Guess I can put that down to the adrenaline kick + fun of playing live.

I do enjoy the lightness of my Ibbys which are a delight to play over a long set. But equally would love not to be denied the opportunity to play some wonderful heavier basses. Currently trying to square the circle by exploring double shoulder straps to lighten the load on the put-upon ol' left shoulder.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

OK.

I've been playing bass for 30 years. Heavy ones, light ones. Some have sounded authoritative, rich and ballsy. Some sounded like lettuce leaves being thrown at a bean bag. 

There's been absolutely no correlation with regards to weight.

The ones I have now are on the lighter side, and they sound like the former.

That's my take on it.

Okay, fair enough!

Given your own sweeping generalisations on Class D amplification, I’m sure you can forgive a little stereotyping elsewhere :) 

It’s just my experience, I’m yet to find a lightweight (sub 8lb) bass that has the depth in tone that a 10lb + bass tends to have.  I am sure there are exceptions, clearly from this thread alone, but there you go.  Sounds like you have 20 years on me 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kev said:

Okay, fair enough!

Given your own sweeping generalisations on Class D amplification, I’m sure you can forgive a little stereotyping elsewhere :) 

It’s just my experience, I’m yet to find a lightweight (sub 8lb) bass that has the depth in tone that a 10lb + bass tends to have.  I am sure there are exceptions, clearly from this thread alone, but there you go.  Sounds like you have 20 years on me 😂

Yeah. The difference being I've played heavy basses which sound great, but I've yet to play a Class D that does (IMO etc.)

😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

Yeah. The difference being I've played heavy basses which sound great, but I've yet to play a Class D that does (IMO etc.)

😄

You haven’t heard any of mine then... 😉 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CamdenRob said:

You haven’t heard any of mine then... 😉 

Are you talking basses or D class amps now then?! 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...