Why become a member? ×

Slinger Straps

Bleat

Hello much-more-knowledgable-than-me-about-basses-n-stuff-chatters,

After yet another acquisition of a padded wide strap, this time a Comfort Strapp to help spread weight of a heavy bass, I am now quickly realising that no matter what I get, I still seem to be feeling it a bit in my shoulder after 20mins of playing. Previously having owned a few big straps,  including a Gibson Fat Boy, the biggest, fattest, thickest, lushest strap I have ever owned, that still only reduced the issue to a small degree... The weight is still only being displaced across a fairly small area. As I cannot do much about my build and slightly forward leaning shoulders, I have been thinking that a little discomfort is just going to be the trade off for playing the style of bass I love.

As strap collecting is starting to become an unintended... and expensive side hobby, and not fully addressing the issue, I have decided I need a different style of strap altogether, hence the discovery of Slinger Straps, based in the US.

They have 3 different styles:

A strap-belt with no shoulder strap at all,  but involves adding a strap pin to bottom of guitar for attachment to the belt strap which I'm not prepared to do. 

A strap belt with one shoulder strap attached where it allows you to swap the shoulder strap from your left to right shoulder, 2"or 3" versions.

A double strap version which is the one I guess may be the most effective at weight displacement (and the most expensive). 2" or 3" versions.

Does anyone have any experience with these straps? They seem to get good reviews, but you have to get them from the US, and do seem a little on the pricey side for non padded straps.... probably looking in the region of 70 quid to get hold of a 3" one. Are there any other options out there that I could consider ?

Edited by Bleat

The Slinger has to be bought from the US, so though not a cheap option, it looks like it will meet my needs. It would have been nice to get a little padding in the strap for the money.

I had looked at the Gruvgear strap which looks to be made to fit round a top horn which I don't have on my bass and looking at some of the reviews, it seems to be a bit of a faff plus extra expense to get it to fit a LP shape guitar.

Either way I will provide an update as to what I get and when !

🎸