Why become a member? ×

Tabs sources

dave moffat

Help! I know this is old hat to most of you but I'm simultaneously excited and crapping myself. What is the best resource for good tabs?

Was visiting a guy to collect some strings, he has just opened music store locally and is rapidly becoming a good mate, . Anyway we got to chatting while I was noodling on an ancient and much scarred fretless Fender and trying to decide whether it was worth the money as a stop gap. Mainly about how I felt my playing was coming on and whether I was ready for an open mike night, without thinking I said that I felt that getting out and playing with other musicians was what I really needed to move forward. Upshot is 2 numbers (and an encore), my choice to be ready before Christmas. Sometimes I should just keep my gob shut🤐

• Like 3

Tabs submitted to online tab sites are a bit iffy sometimes, but at open mic night, we occasionally get asked to learn songs for the following week.

I tend to use a combination of the following, until I find the tab I think is closest to the original:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com

(there is also an Android app to go with this - probably an iPhone app too);

https://www.bigbasstabs.com

https://www.songsterr.com

This site is subscription site, but you can see the tab on screen without joining up.

The main thing to be aware of is that the tabs are submitted by players of varying ability and are not always accurate.

Don't forget, there's also BassChat's very own Groove Library subforum:

https://www.basschat.co.uk/forum/41-groove-library/

Good luck!

:)

EDIT: also as Cuzzie says Nowt like listening and working out!

Edited by Teebs
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cuzzie said:

Ultimate Guitar tabs app for most mobile/tablet platforms is a good start.

For my money though, they are often in the ball park but not correct.

Nowt like listening and working out!

The best thing about UG is, if you subscribe) you can edit and save tabs, correcting any mistakes, as well as creating and uploading your own. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

The best thing about UG is, if you subscribe) you can edit and save tabs, correcting any mistakes, as well as creating and uploading your own. 

I use the Guitar Tapp app on the iPad (also available for other platforms). It's free and is an aggregator that pulls tabs from all of the major online resources.

Quality of tabs is variable as mentioned above but as a one-stop shop it's excellent.

Edited by Skinnyman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Aw thanks folks, knew you'd come through for me👍

I've chosen a couple of tunes but not sure if they're any good for an open mic. It's not something I've ever gone to before  so a trip to scout it out is required. Really miserable marriage sucked all the music out of my soul, finally getting it back now though ....and then some😎

Got a bit disillusioned with the tabs books and similar with a lot of the online stuff as well, so looks like printing off a tab, listening to the piece as a start then editing it to what I hear is the way to go. 

• Like 2

Glad you're getting back into music - hopefully it will bring you some joy :)

Definitely check out the open mic before you play - you might find that people are playing stuff that matches your taste and ability.

It could be the beginnings of something good :)

All the best with it - let us know what you decide to play, and how it goes when you do perform smiley

I always recommend this YouTube channel (not sure if he has your tunes though), as he also isolates the bass for most of the tracks he covers

https://www.youtube.com/user/CoverSolutions

I'd also recommend this fella, who does step by step lessons at slower tempos, as well as close ups on fingering etc

https://www.youtube.com/user/howtoplaybassdotcom

• Like 1

At the moment slow and simple is best until I've got more experience under my fingers.

Peaceful Easy Feeling is in 1 position frets 5,6 7&9?

I've kind of got a bass line worked out for If bit boring and follows the melody but it'll get me started for now.

Woman is slow enough for me to get my head/fingers round, love the slides at the start, mostly nice simple progressions.

Biggest thing is to get out playing in front of others, I'm incredibly shy even if I can hide away at the back, in the dark AND I'm going to have to do the vocals for If, so keeping it simple is key at this stage. My coordination is going to challenged as it is🤣

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dave moffat said:

Biggest thing is to get out playing in front of others, I'm incredibly shy even if I can hide away at the back, in the dark AND I'm going to have to do the vocals for If, so keeping it simple is key at this stage. My coordination is going to challenged as it is🤣

Don't worry about it - know your material, concentrate on your part and don't get bladdered beforehand! :) 

You'll be fine! smiley

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Yes, I’ve used both. Cover Solutions is excellent and I was going to mention him, but he does tend to take on moderate to advanced material and might not be suited to the OP. That other channel irritates me. Not only have I found instruction that is just plain wrong, there are other examples where he will just skim over a tune and tell you to fill in the rest - and the videos just go on forever!

Yeah, good point about cover solutions, tbh I always recommend him without thinking of difficulty because he's so good. 

Re. How to play bass, I haven't used it for a while (but now you mention it, I do tend to agree), I just thought it may be useful as it's more of a lesson format and he slows the tempo down to make it a bit easier. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Don't worry about it - know your material, concentrate on your part and don't get bladdered beforehand! :) 

You'll be fine! smiley

Don't drink much any more which explains why I don't know the venue (it was sh!thole when I was in my teens, a loong time ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth) and wasn't one of my regular haunts, which are all now closed or f'ing wine bars

Thankfully I already know the lyrics to Peaceful and If, so going to work on nailing the bass lines on the acoustic mini before working them up on the electric

• Like 2

Just laziness, 😄

I can have my mini acoustic downstairs in front of the TV and just work on a little piece now and again (during the ads/boring bits), whilst I'd have to go upstairs probably unplug the  Uke bass, plug in the electric and switch on the amp. And the kettle/coffee is downstairs. I find little and often works best for me when I'm trying to learn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, dave moffat said:

Just laziness, 😄

I can have my mini acoustic downstairs in front of the TV and just work on a little piece now and again (during the ads/boring bits), whilst I'd have to go upstairs probably unplug the  Uke bass, plug in the electric and switch on the amp. And the kettle/coffee is downstairs. I find little and often works best for me when I'm trying to learn.

I used to take my EUB to open mic nights but now I always take the Uke Bass! Sounds great, elicits interest, easy to set up. 

4 hours ago, DanOwens said:

I used to take my EUB to open mic nights but now I always take the Uke Bass! Sounds great, elicits interest, easy to set up. 

Must admit it's actively under consideration, gives me the option of acoustic or plugging it in.

What strings do you use? Got Aquila thunderblacks on mine at the moment definitely an imorovement on the white and red Aquilas. Passing notion to try Worths.

Just swapped the flatwounds on the Ibanez, back to a light set of roundwounds, the flats will go on a fretless,.....when I get one😎.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dave moffat said:

What strings do you use? Got Aquila thunderblacks on mine at the moment definitely an imorovement on the white and red Aquilas. Passing notion to try Worths.

I think they’re Aquilas (they’re off-white/cream). I considered changing them but my kids and the band kids love making cheese-string jokes!

• Haha 1

Made a start on Peaceful this morning, treating myself to a couple of pedals this afternoon. Missus and I will check out the venue  for the first time this evening so I've got some idea what to expect and what I'll need to take. Really hope she'll join us as she's got a beautiful voice (alto I think) and is pretty awesome on keys when she unplugs the cans from the f'kin' thing.

Thanks to you folks I'm starting to feel more confident and starting to look forward to it (for now).

• Like 1