Why become a member? ×

One or two interesting smaller projects

Andyjr1515

7 minutes ago, Christine said:

So here’s hoping there’s some real adjustability left in that truss rod then :lol:

Indeed!  ;)

It's got half a chance.  The fretboard is now completely flat with the trussrod loose so the full movement is now available to counteract the string tension.  But fingers crossed anyway :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Frets all done. Just have to reset the nut, pop back the tuners and this can be shipped back to @Sibob 

ctSvKPcl.jpg

Only to find he doesn’t like the bass after all and sells it 😆

And finally ready to return:

PX7gdve.jpg

Machine heads refitted and nut lowered ( @Sibob may want to tweak them when he resets it but it is at a level where those tweaks should be pretty minor).

Because the nut / nut slot is lower, I've chiselled a dropaway angle behind it to ensure the strings have a clear run to the machine heads:

dgzvDVU.jpg

It'll be in Monday's post back to @Sibob .  No doubt we'll all find out if it's done the trick or not soon ;) 

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

And finally ready to return:

PX7gdve.jpg

Machine heads refitted and nut lowered ( @Sibob may want to tweak them when he resets it but it is at a level where those tweaks should be pretty minor).

Because the nut / nut slot is lower, I've chiselled a dropaway angle behind it to ensure the strings have a clear run to the machine heads:

dgzvDVU.jpg

It'll be in Monday's post back to @Sibob .  No doubt we'll all find out if it's done the trick or not soon ;) 

We’ll know Monday Tuesday night 😂

Si

• Haha 1

Rock-hopping a bit, back to Tom's ( @wwcringe ) second refurb, the Squier, it's pretty much done.  Just got to make sure the tone rotary is working properly (I don't have a bass rig and it sometimes takes a bit of imagination through an electric guitar amp to see if there's a difference!) and then it's ready to give back to him next time he's passing.

Here it is:

mv3tTkMl.jpg

483XMF1l.jpg

TF2n5Idl.jpg

yrSwLtHl.jpg

The controls (all rotary switches), from the neck to the tail are:

On/Kill

Tone cap off/tone cap on

Parallel/Series

Neck/Both/Bridge

Tom and I were looking for something to fill the original toggle-switch hole (this model originally had an active EQ).  An adjuster from a 6-string electric Floyd Rose was perfect :)

56lqpNKl.jpg

You can see a bit of 'mojo' at the back here ;)   The battery hatch is glued.  The control chamber hatch has magnets:

LGUM4hgl.jpg

In the meantime, @Sibob 's neck should have arrived at his this afternoon and - to complete the circle because it doesn't get much spookier than this - yesterday, @Sibob was at the PLASA show at the Olympia.  And while he was there he watched a live performance by Nyah Grace (great singer/songwriter).  And accompanying her was a bassist.  And @Sibob thought he recognised the headstock logo.  See the beginning of this thread.  Yes - it was Tom.  And yes, he was playing the refurbed Ibanez that started this whole thread off:

wDQnhwCl.jpg

Small world…. :D

• Like 7

Just a quick note of public thanks to Andy for rescuing the BB415:

A5E3C5BB-68AC-4161-B09E-78F79ECD0515.thumb.jpeg.247df72ddcee1dddc5e8eab66777c72a.jpeg

Having let the neck settle back with the body and under tension, I can report that we’re back up and running.

While the bass is a cheaper stop-gap while I look for a nice P5, I don’t think it should be understated that Andy has restored this bass to being a solid, gig-ready instrument.

Many thanks :)

Si

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

Just a quick note of public thanks to Andy for rescuing the BB415:

A5E3C5BB-68AC-4161-B09E-78F79ECD0515.thumb.jpeg.247df72ddcee1dddc5e8eab66777c72a.jpeg

Having let the neck settle back with the body and under tension, I can report that we’re back up and running.

While the bass is a cheaper stop-gap while I look for a nice P5, I don’t think it should be understated that Andy has restored this bass to being a solid, gig-ready instrument.

Many thanks :)

Si

Pleased it seems to have done the trick, Si.  Looks good, all back in one piece! :)

• Like 2

On 17/09/2019 at 15:05, Andyjr1515 said:

Just got to make sure the tone rotary is working properly (I don't have a bass rig and it sometimes takes a bit of imagination through an electric guitar amp to see if there's a difference!) and then it's ready to give back to him next time he's passing.

Here it is:

mv3tTkMl.jpg

Found it!  Rookie error.  The capacitor was wired up right.  But the other pole of the rotary wasn't going anywhere at all ;)

Ready to return :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Well...we got past bin day so I suppose anything else is a bonus :lol:    Until next week's bin day, of course....

Next week? Tis fortnightly round most parts... unless it’s in the recycling.

(which bin is best for Metal?)

• Haha 1

I’ve been doing an even worse job than usual of lurking!!

But huge thanks to @Andyjr1515 for the setups and the mods..!

Am excited to put the Squier to work

@Sibob so cool you were at PLASA!!! And hilarious to be recognised by my modded bass :) 

Cheeky advert.. If any basschat crew are around I’m playing a (very!) small show with Nyah in Hackney Downs tomorrow:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1334421266721824/

Cheers y’all!

Tom

• Like 2