Why become a member? ×

IEM opinions please

Machines

24 minutes ago, Machines said:

They use X Air as a mixer so I will be able to edit my mix going forward hopefully. 

That's a really useable mixer for in ears and the app is very straightforward so you will have lots of control over your mix.

Are you using the 5 driver IEMs - or the ZSTs - which seem to be the more popular models in the guitarist world (again, internet rumours haven't helped people out here... The ZST dual drivers won't really pack that much in the bass or have that much headroom (still kick the stinky poo out of a 215 though))

If it's your first outting with IEMs, it's going to take some getting used to. You may want to split some channels on the desk to get you a better EQ through to your IEMs. I am also guessing you are running a standard flat EQ with no compression on your aux either - basically because people don't know what they are doing with desks.

Stick with it. Do some homework and fine tuning and you'll be well happy.

12 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Are you using the 5 driver IEMs - or the ZSTs - which seem to be the more popular models in the guitarist world (again, internet rumours haven't helped people out here... The ZST dual drivers won't really pack that much in the bass or have that much headroom (still kick the stinky poo out of a 215 though))

If it's your first outting with IEMs, it's going to take some getting used to. You may want to split some channels on the desk to get you a better EQ through to your IEMs. I am also guessing you are running a standard flat EQ with no compression on your aux either - basically because people don't know what they are doing with desks.

Stick with it. Do some homework and fine tuning and you'll be well happy.

Not sure what he lent to me, but I have ordered a set of KZ ZS10 Pro.

Yes I ran a mostly flat EQ and my DI is post EQ with no compression, although I can do so on my Zoom B3n if I wish. It was OK, but think I need a bit more of myself in the mix, or just less everyone else.

5 minutes ago, Machines said:

Yes I ran a mostly flat EQ and my DI is post EQ with no compression, although I can do so on my Zoom B3n if I wish. It was OK, but think I need a bit more of myself in the mix, or just less everyone else.

I was talking about the EQ on the Aux bus on the mixing desk. That will put a lot of the lost bass back, if your inears aren't particularly great at reproducing bass (headroom withstanding)

Your point is valid though - people tend to not run their packs as hard as they should.... they start boosting on the mixer, without just turning the volume up on the pack and then turning the other instruments down. Boosting, boosting, boosting will just lead to distortion and a lack of headroom.