Why become a member? ×

Root/octave runs

AdrianP

Hi there. Our band is looking to add a couple of new songs to our setlist for the next rehearsal, Hollywood Nights by Bob Seger being one of them. This is mostly played in E but seems to include a little C#, D root and octave run at the turnaround. Then there is a longer descending/ ascending run in the outro. This is the sort of thing I've not really done before and, to be honest, am struggling to pull it off. I just can't seem to get that pop going. Or to do it quick enough. 

Apart from doing more practice, is there any technique that you guys have found to work? We are maybe thinking of adding a Duran Duran number next year and I know that this is a favourite technique of John Taylor so it will be worthwhile getting it right. 

Cheers. 

1 hour ago, AdrianP said:

I just can't seem to get that pop going

I'm not totally sure I understand what you mean by this, is it that the octave note isn't loud enough? If that is the case, there are a couple of non-technique related things you could try that may (or may not) help;

• First, how are you EQ'ing your sound? Try adding some upper mids to help give some extra definition to the octaves to help them stand out. 
  • Are you using a compressor? If not, they are an invaluable tool to help even out all notes from across the fret board. 

Are you popping the note as in the slap sense? Maybe try plucking it instead? The octave pull/pop thing will give you a bright snap but plucking the note will give it more body.  

Other than that, as you say it's just a case of keep working away at it until you get it right. :)

• Thanks 1

Thanks both. I think my problem is that, in rushing to get to the next root note, I'm not not giving enough time for the octave to ring out properly meaning that I choke it off before it's really sounded. So that's probably poor technique. I will have a look at the Talkingbass lesson. That sounds perfect. Thanks again. 

OK, understood. In that case it's sounds like it's a case of using the tried and tested method of playing it slowly at first until you get the feel and the timing right and then gradually increase he speed until you can play it at the correct tempo. Use a drum machine or metronome to keep things steady. And if you can play it smoothly even quicker than you need to you'll have no trouble with it.