Why become a member? ×

Help a Dipstick understand dip switches.

Maude

Hello all, I just picked up a cheap LED par can secondhand, sometimes I get stuck in a corner and could do with a little ambient light to see between songs, not often but it's handy to have in case. I want to run it separately from our other lights and just have a dim wash of one colour, no fading or colour changing. 

My question is, do all lights use the same generic settings of the dip switches on the back or do I need to find some instructions for it somewhere? 

This light has a bank of four switches labelled 'Function' and another bank of ten labelled 'Pattern', and two knobs labelled 'speed' and 'music'. 

I had a play and it doesn't make sense to me, but I have absolutely no clue about these things. 

Can I just set the switches so it's on a dim green every time it's switched on, or does it not work like that? 

Thanks in advance for any help offered. 🙂

The only help I can offer is that I’m pretty sure the switch labelled “music” will enable a mode in which the light pulses to the beat of whatever ambient sound it senses - there’ll be a tiny mic built in somewhere on the back of the unit for this purpose. So you’ll likely want to keep that feature switched off.

Only just got round to looking into this again. Thanks @PaulWarning for the link, and @la bam for the advice.

My unit is a Pulse one and is different to that but I have found a link to a Pulse unit with the same controls, but it still makes no sense http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/577134.pdf

Through using that manual, trial and error and pure bloody luck I have found that setting switch 2 on the 'function' bank to on I can then use switches 1-9 on the 'pattern' bank for three intensities of red (1-3) green (4-6) and blue (7-9) or any mix of. That'll do for me as I only need a light wash of one colour.