Why become a member? ×

gnd and lift on my genz benz

Skezza

I gig  occasionally with two bands playing bass. I use a Genz Benz shuttle 6 as my main head 

I like the sound of the GB after using a load of markbass kit and more recently a TCE RH750.

As  a backup I have a Genz Benz shuttle 3 which I have had three or four years and have never used.

OK the valve in the shuttle 6 went haywire during the soundcheck at my most recent gig so I got out the shuttle 3 

I use a 2 x 10 for my onstage sound but  DI into our EV rig 

The sound guy said my sound was way too loud much louder than my usual amp.

Now I am MR OCD so every setting I use is marked on the controls of all my amps ( I play guitar in another  band as well) and both my bass amps had all the controls set the same.

When i checked it over after the gig one switch was different 

on the shuttle 6 the GND LIFT switch was set to GND

on the shuttle 3 the GND LIFT switch was set to  LIFT

so the question is would this switch (the only switch and setting that was different between the two amps ) cause a much greater line level at the desk

Could also be the soundguy. When I got my amp I had the DI switched to line level, the sound guy at our weekly gig said TOO HOT. Switched it to mic level and all was fun for about 6 weeks. 

The he said, “I am getting almost nothing from your DI)”.  Switched back to Line  and all was right with the world. Three months later...,, you guessed it back to Line level. 

Oh and myold amp had only a line level. He said that was too hot. So I bought a DI that  had mic level output. It is still on my pedal board and has been used only once...

Edited by Chienmortbb
Typos
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/09/2019 at 09:49, Chienmortbb said:

Could also be the soundguy. When I got my amp I had the DI switched to line level, the sound guy at our weekly gig said TOO HOT. Switched it to mic level and all was fun for about 6 weeks. 

The he said, “I am getting almost nothing from your DI)”.  Switched back to Line  and all was right with the world. Three months later...,, you guessed it back to Line level. 

Oh and myold amp had only a line level. He said that was too hot. So I bought a DI that  had mic level output. It is still on my pedal board and has been used only once...

Yup sounds like a “sound guy” that doesn’t know what a gain knob is... Probably a guitar who thinks gain means distortion...😂

Because the gain structure is very similar between the two, and with the channel volume on the Shuttle 6.0 control set to ~1:00, the gain structure is the same. The results are virtually identical in the pre position and overall within a few dB in the post position. The DI circuitry is in fact identical. In case you don't realize it, I designed both of these amps.

What the OP is experiencing is consistent with either the DI output level switch being set differently or the sound guy being unaware of the gain structure of his console's input channel strips.

Edited by agedhorse
  • Like 1