Why become a member? ×

HUE AND CRY 1989

MOSCOWBASS

10 hours ago, MOSCOWBASS said:

Apparently it is James Finnegan, been speaking to guitarist on the gig, Nigel Clark. Still not sure about the make of bass, Schecter has been mentioned

That's a name that rings some bells - I remember Nigel Clark as a stalwart of the Dunoon Jazz festival (my hometown) through the 90s. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beer of the Bass said:

That's a name that rings some bells - I remember Nigel Clark as a stalwart of the Dunoon Jazz festival (my hometown) through the 90s. 

I've known Nigel since we were kids, we lived 2 or 3 doors apart. I've played in Dunoon many times, used to play in the Glen Morag hotel....did you know John Peel drums?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I read somewhere that James Finnegan is a school  music teacher nowadays. 

I remember seeing him playing that bass back in those days. Excellent player, and I quite liked Hue And Cry at the time. Saw them opening for Madonna.  Where has the time gone?

Crikey, now there's a band I hadn't thought of for a long, long time.  A mate of mine was a huge fan (he was also very big on getting groups of people who didn't know each other together as well); he organised tickets for a Hue and Cry gig at the Wilde Theatre, Bracknell about 20 years ago, perhaps longer.  I can't find a single reference to it online, so I could have dreamt it, but unlikely.  I guess there were about 20 of us.

I'll profess I only knew Labour of Love (as did about 18 or us)...they did two coma-enducing sets with an intermission between and I swear about half the audience didn't return for the second half.  I couldn't tell you what they played, how many were in the band, anything.  I do however remember eating a rather splendid cheeseburger beforehand and had a pint between sets, beyond that?  Nada.