Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Ergodyne repair

MoonBassAlpha

I've got an EDA905 to look at. Complaint was that it was making a farting noise. It all checks out ok, turns out they were playing it through a guitar cab! It's a 5 string, and I think they were using a drop tuning too...

Anyhow, the action was also 7mm, so I've shimmed the neck and now got it playing nicely with <1.7mm top to bottom! It's a really good neck!

The remaining problem is one of the tuners has broken in the slot where the string sits. It still tunes and holds tune but doesn't look right.

I can't find a single (not a set of 4) replacement in that finish, a smokey chrome. It's a Gotoh style right handed one (these things string up oddly). I'm wondering if anyone has better Google-Fu than me or has a spare knocking about in their parts drawer? Don't mind paying, of course!

• 2 months later...

When my tuner broke I had to order a pack of 4. They weren’t hugely expensive and they come ‘handed’ for the top and bottom. To be honest with you, another Of my tuners broke last night (I’m about to post another thread) but you’d be wise to replace all 4. The other tuners on my bass aren’t right, they have tight spots. I’m guessing they have worn internally over time.