Why become a member? ×

Check Your Hercules Stands

Jabba_the_gut

9 minutes ago, Muzz said:

A brand new stand turned up in the post this morning - the design of the grip that had failed has changed, so there was clearly a design issue. Nevertheless, exemplary customer service from Hercules/Stringsandthings... 👍

That's interesting. The replacement stands I got had exactly the same design of grip, just made out of plastic that (hopefully) won't go sticky.

Just now, Stub Mandrel said:

The one I bought looks the same, but has hard plastic without a soft-touch coating.

I don't know where this "soft-touch coating" has come from. The ones that I had that went sticky looked and felt exactly the same as their replacements until the plastic started to go sticky.

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I don't know where this "soft-touch coating" has come from. The ones that I had that went sticky looked and felt exactly the same as their replacements until the plastic started to go sticky.

A few people mentioned cleaning off a sticky coating with isopropanol.

I've had a few things with a 'soft touch coating' (e.g. a gps and a mini-speaker, amongst other things) that went the same way with age, so I assumed this was what they meant.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Soft_Touch_Removal

Edited by Stub Mandrel

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, RossHetherington said:

Just checked mine this morning and it has the sticky feeling but the plastic doesn't look degraded. I never fold mine down so it should be fine. 

If they remain sticky or get worse try this...

...if that doesn’t solve it, or you don’t want to do as the video suggests then do contact Hercules, they usually replace them.

On 21/09/2019 at 18:55, Frank Blank said:

If they remain sticky or get worse try this...

...if that doesn’t solve it, or you don’t want to do as the video suggests then do contact Hercules, they usually replace them.

I contacted Hercules to try and get a replacement clip and they sent a replacement stand. Very good service.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 08/09/2019 at 17:04, T-Bay said:

And thinking about it, the way the pj engages means that if it failed with a bass on then the weight of the bass would prevent the pin escaping until the bass was removed. So it would only collapse once the bass was taken off.

This is exactly what's just happened to mine :(