Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones Bass clearance at guitarguitar

jonno1981

I've been wanting to play a PJB amp for some time now. I find the idea of lots of small speakers interesting, but I've been quite put off by Phil Jones' business practices. Not that long ago, he was posting from his personal Facebook account on discussions on some of the big Facebook bass groups. 

When people would ask for amp recommendations he was posting that only his stuff is worth using, all other manufacturers make crap amps with crap parts and don't know how to design amps or speakers and that bass players will keep buying other brands because they haven't got a clue of what good tone and sound projection are. 

It's really not a marketing style that works for me. Everyone has different needs, if someone doesn't buy a particular (and niche) brand, then it doesn't make them an idiot or mean they have no idea what they are doing. His holier than thou attitude really soured me. A manufacturer calling their competitors products crappy junk is unnecessary. A good product should speak for itself.

I still enjoy the cheeky car industry advertising of the 80s and early 90s, where Vauxhall would do a full page ad saying their new Astra GSI was faster than a Golf GTi and it was factually correct (although banned now as you're no longer allowed to say that fast cars are fast in motor advertising now, thanks to the ASA nannies), but the advert didn't say "The Golf GTI is crap", because it didn't have to. Phil Jones really got it wrong with this one. I haven't seen him posting in those groups for a few months since it happened so I think maybe he got banned. 

3 hours ago, Mastodon2 said:

I've been wanting to play a PJB amp for some time now. I find the idea of lots of small speakers interesting, but I've been quite put off by Phil Jones' business practices. Not that long ago, he was posting from his personal Facebook account on discussions on some of the big Facebook bass groups. 

When people would ask for amp recommendations he was posting that only his stuff is worth using, all other manufacturers make crap amps with crap parts and don't know how to design amps or speakers and that bass players will keep buying other brands because they haven't got a clue of what good tone and sound projection are. 

It's really not a marketing style that works for me. Everyone has different needs, if someone doesn't buy a particular (and niche) brand, then it doesn't make them an idiot or mean they have no idea what they are doing. His holier than thou attitude really soured me. A manufacturer calling their competitors products crappy junk is unnecessary. A good product should speak for itself.

I still enjoy the cheeky car industry advertising of the 80s and early 90s, where Vauxhall would do a full page ad saying their new Astra GSI was faster than a Golf GTi and it was factually correct (although banned now as you're no longer allowed to say that fast cars are fast in motor advertising now, thanks to the ASA nannies), but the advert didn't say "The Golf GTI is crap", because it didn't have to. Phil Jones really got it wrong with this one. I haven't seen him posting in those groups for a few months since it happened so I think maybe he got banned. 

I use 3 PJB cabs and like them, but you're right that he's rather full of himself. Shame, because his stuff is good and he doesn't need to resort to dissing other peoples' products.

2 hours ago, Bobthedog said:

I tried a PJB Flightcase (I think) and it struggled with the B string on my Roscoe as well as being extremely heavy for the size. Sad as I really liked the idea of them. The tone was great for E to G, but it just could not cope with my B. 

If it was a Flightcase, I’m surprised you found it heavy. I’ve never found mine to struggle with a B string, even with my Rob Allen MB2. Hey, we’re all different.