Why become a member? ×

NBD - Jaydee Thunderbird

woolf

Another impulse purchase on my part. This came up locally and intrigued me, I'm a sucker for black with gold hardware - I have a much loved BB3000 with the same.

It's been heavily gigged by the looks of it, plenty of scrapes and dings but nothing overly significant. Played by a chap in an 80's metal band called Samurai! I've found a couple of photo's online of the bass in a strong hair-metal context (one of which I've added below...)!

I've never owned a Jaydee before and can't seem to find much information about these online. I'm assuming it was a custom order. If anyone knows anything about them, I'd love to hear.

It plays surprisingly well and has a massive sound, even unplugged. I would like to reduce the action a bit however the bridge screws (Allen key type) seem to have seized up and won't turn. Also, how do you lower the pickups on these? 

Cheers.

IMGP3866.JPG

IMGP3868.JPG

IMGP3869.JPG

Samurai-2.jpg

Edited by woolf
  • Like 7

On 07/09/2019 at 14:42, woolf said:

I've never owned a Jaydee before and can't seem to find much information about these online. I'm assuming it was a custom order. If anyone knows anything about them, I'd love to hear.

Phone him? He's a really nice guy. JayDee is run by his son now, but John still spends a lot of time there and is a very nice guy.

He worked with John Birch in the 70's making the weird customs for the glam stars. On that basis he offered to wire up my John Birch bass when JB died close to finishing it. He has an encyclopaedic memory of his work so should be able to tell you something about your bass. Which looks fantastic by the way.

https://www.jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk/contact.html

I've been playing it a little today and I'm impressed with the sound and overall quality. Neck feels lovely, P-ish width but shallow front to back. I think it's an ebony fretboard but not 100% - it needs a good clean so could be Rosewood. Unfortunately one of the bridge height adjustment screws is not shifting despite a little WD40 and elbow grease, I snapped an Allen key trying to turn it : ( I think it's going to require a trip to my local tech.

15 minutes ago, Big_Stu said:

He has an encyclopaedic memory of his work so should be able to tell you something about your bass. Which looks fantastic by the way.

Thanks for this, I've sent an email over so hopefully I'll hear something. 

Does anyone know which tool is required to adjust the truss rod? I'm only familiar with fender-type rods and this is different, looks like a nut that would need a socket wrench thingy....

An old drummer I worked with had a JayDee Flying V, that I set up for him. Gorgeous guitar, seriously well made, and once it was cleaned up and set up, it played and sounded brilliant.

Congrats on the new T'bird, if it's anywhere near the V, it'll be ace.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, woolf said:

I've been playing it a little today and I'm impressed with the sound and overall quality. Neck feels lovely, P-ish width but shallow front to back. I think it's an ebony fretboard but not 100% - it needs a good clean so could be Rosewood. Unfortunately one of the bridge height adjustment screws is not shifting despite a little WD40 and elbow grease, I snapped an Allen key trying to turn it : ( I think it's going to require a trip to my local tech.

Thanks for this, I've sent an email over so hopefully I'll hear something. 

Does anyone know which tool is required to adjust the truss rod? I'm only familiar with fender-type rods and this is different, looks like a nut that would need a socket wrench thingy....

John uses ebony mostly on basses it seems, so I reckon it'll be ebony. I'd definitely seek advice from Jaydee before adjusting the truss rod.

• Like 1