Why become a member? ×

Squier Jazz

dmccombe7

Had a shot of a mates Squier Jazz bass last night. Couldn't believe just how good it was. Think it was a classic vibe version but the neck was almost identical to my Fender Geddy CIJ with the neck being the exact same slim J with black edging and painted black block markers. The feel of the neck and even the weight of the bass was pretty much the same.

Think i might try out a few Squier P basses if they are all that good.

Anyone else share my thoughts and feel they've arrived late at the party ?

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

Sounds like the Squier VM 77 Jazz you were playing. I have come late to the party as I just bought my first Squier on these very forums. Mine is a VM 77 and it is exceptionally fine. It has been upgraded with pups and hardware but the neck and body are superb and every bit as good as the USA version. Squier are punching well above their weight these days. I am a very happy bunny.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Think i might try out a few Squier P basses if they are all that good.

While you are at it give the G&L Tribute JB2 a try...or get the best of both worlds (P & Jazz pickups) and try the Tribute SB2 (has a jazz neck). IMO they are at least as good (and probably better) than a Squier P bass.

If your budget allows, try a USA G&L. 

• Like 2

I bought myself a Squier VM70s bass a few years ago because I fancied a go at modding.

It's a great feeling instrument, I changed out the loom, bridge and pickups because that's what I got it for, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with the bass just as stock before that.

I've got a couple of more expensive basses but I've never noticed myself thinking that the Squier is in any way inferior to them when I decide to pick it up.

• Like 2

Would have to agree that the Squier i tried was nowhere near inferior to my Fender Jazz. I would in fact say its far better than  my Fender Precision deluxe PJ i bought few yrs back. The neck feel and fret edge finish is far better on the Squier. The general feel of the bass just feels better than my P deluxe. If both the squier and my geddy CIJ were put in front of me blindfolded i just couldn't tell the difference.

Quite a shocker for me as i always regarded them as being slightly poorer quality than original fenders but definitely not the case.

The Squier is the Classic Vibe Jazz at £330 in Guitar Guitar. How can you beat that. Even if you had to change the pick ups and put a badass bridge on it would still be far less than the Geddy bass new.

Dave

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hutton said:

Sounds like the Squier VM 77 Jazz you were playing. I have come late to the party as I just bought my first Squier on these very forums. Mine is a VM 77 and it is exceptionally fine. It has been upgraded with pups and hardware but the neck and body are superb and every bit as good as the USA version. Squier are punching well above their weight these days. I am a very happy bunny.

Same here, I’ve tried many Jazzes over the years, US/US Deluxe/MIM/MIM Deluxe etc and never really gelled with any until I got my Squier VM77. Its an added bonus that it looks as cool as an Eskimo eating ice-cream.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Gonna have a look at the P basses soon. Def a cheaper option than a Fender original.

I bought a SquierMatt Freeman some years back. I replaced the pups with Seymour Duncan Spb 4. Months later I reverted to stock pups as the bass sounded better with them, at least to my ears. 

You can pick up a cheap Squier on e bay etc. Replace the bridge pups and tuners , still cheaper than overpriced bigger name basses. 

6 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

Squier is OK, but you should deffo look at the Sire jazz.  2nd hand they compete on price and are a whole other kettle of fish.

Yeah - what you save on the purchase price you lose on the Osteopath bills!

Edited by sammybee

8 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

Squier is OK, but you should deffo look at the Sire jazz.  2nd hand they compete on price and are a whole other kettle of fish.

You're comparing a passive with an active. Both are quality basses in their own right, guess it's about preference. I like passive basses, so I'd choose the Squier over the Sire. 😉

28 minutes ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

Do you know much about the silver series P's (mid 90 mij)? 

I had one.  It was lightweight, had a nice 40mm nut width, neck was amazing.  The best thing was the tone coming out of the stock pup - organic woody P bass tone that was like the old Wizard Thumper or similar.  Cost me around £200 and was the best bass for the money I have ever had through my hands.  It wasn't as nice as my JV Squiers but it wasn't far short.   So of course I sold it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

That's good enough for me, ta 👍🏻

There's a reason all Squier mij basses go for silly money, even the trashed one's. 

Don't discount early Korean squire's either, the very early one's (88-89) were made from the same parts as the Japanese ones, only assembled in Korea, as they shipped parts across to Korea to start the factory there.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, steve-bbb said:

top tip for the day - put a pair of wizard hammers in it and never again consider forking out silly money for a US fender

thank me later

I've never heard of them but then again i've never changed anything on a bass in 40+ yrs. This will be a new beginning for me :laugh1:

8 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I've never heard of them but then again i've never changed anything on a bass in 40+ yrs. This will be a new beginning for me :laugh1:

huge output even when passive - they come up for sale on here occasionally - no longer made but the copyrights and patterns and equipment were all bought by hotrod pickups who continue making exact same item but under new brand name - currently have a set in a vmJ fretless along with one of John K1iogons passive control plates

• Thanks 1