Why become a member? ×

Taking Ric fugliness too far - KayRic

spectoremg

58 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

It's strange but I've played my 4003 for over ten years and never had an issue with the binding digging into my forearm - until about a week ago.

And now I've noticed it, I can't stop noticing it.

I've decided that a walnut 4003s is the only solution.....

My first Ric was an S model, so no issues there.

My others have binding and it's just a matter of getting used to it. It's the same with any guitar with binding, including acoustics.

I was chatting with someone who had cut their fingers on the treble pickup surround. Two of mine have 3rd-party blanking plates fitted.

• Like 1

As for the Kay, it is the bottom of the pike as far as Ric copies go.

Hierarchy:

1. Real Ric.
  2. Custom-made  (by a genuine luthier).
  3. John Birch.
  4. Japanese vintage thru-neck 33.5" scale (Greco, Shaftesbury).
  5. Japanese vintage bolt-on neck 34" scale (various Matsumoku).
  6. Eko vintage (some brands had Italian-made models).
  7. Hondo II (plywood body).
  8. Rockinbetter (the template of the Chickenbackers).
  9. The current Chickenbackers (AliExpress, etc.).
  10. A couple of copies which tried to get around trademark by using a different headstock.
  11. Kay.

I would have one for the curiosity value.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, prowla said:

My first Ric was an S model, so no issues there.

My others have binding and it's just a matter of getting used to it. It's the same with any guitar with binding, including acoustics.

I was chatting with someone who had cut their fingers on the treble pickup surround. Two of mine have 3rd-party blanking plates fitted.

I could get used to the binding again - I've lived with it for ten years after all - but i really think the only medically safe course of action is a 4003s.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

What kind of a name is "4003" for a cat?

It is an odd choice, considering Hall's habit of registering trademarks and other interlectual (sp) property. There's nothing wrong with numbering your cats, but of course numbers can't be registered.

That's the only reason that Barry Manilow fan @Maude can go around saying '4005' with impunity. 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Never owned a Riccardo, but nowt against them.   For any fans,  the track below is from an album, ( yeeeup, released on Vinyl  ) by some pals of mine. Jerry was the bassister on fretless Rick , fab player

I shared a house with Jerry,  and Dennis, the guitar wiz  ... Vintage 57 Gold Top Les Paul  no less

They were a great band, if you like that sort of music, and the whole album is on YT.

4 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Never owned a Riccardo, but nowt against them.   For any fans,  the track below is from an album, ( yeeeup, released on Vinyl  ) by some pals of mine. Jerry was the bassister on fretless Rick , fab player

I shared a house with Jerry,  and Dennis, the guitar wiz  ... Vintage 57 Gold Top Les Paul  no less

They were a great band, if you like that sort of music, and the whole album is on YT.

An off topic plug for a mate's band - taking Ric nepotism too far 😂

• 1 month later...

The famous, yes the world famous Red rick, lives in my loft and no I would not recommend anyone play it.

Very bad things happen to anyone who fks with that bass.

Mark, otherwise known as he 3 fingered bass player...😨

Edited by mark999
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, funkyjimbob said:

haha sorry. Each to their own and that but I think they are just amazingly awful. 

If you had a 1956 Coupe de Ville, I bet you'd complain that there's too much chrome, and the fins are tricky to clean. 😄

On the other hand, I realise its not 1956 anymore, so I've kinda hoisted myself on my own petard... :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Ricky 4000 said:

If you had a 1956 Coupe de Ville, I bet you'd complain that there's too much chrome, and the fins are tricky to clean. 😄

On the other hand, I realise its not 1956 anymore, so I've kinda hoisted myself on my own petard... :ph34r:

😂

To be fair that's a good comparison as the Coupe de Ville is pretty much like the Rick of the car World; tacky and awful. But hey, again, each to their own! If you like them then more power to you :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, funkyjimbob said:

😂

To be fair that's a good comparison as the Coupe de Ville is pretty much like the Rick of the car World; tacky and awful. But hey, again, each to their own! If you like them then more power to you :)

Tacky and wonderful...

I've dug myself into this hole, so now I have to live in it. 😬

• Haha 1