Jump to content
longtimefred

MM humbucker replacements for my Sandberg

Recommended Posts

Alright 'chatters! 

My main gigging bass for a good few years has been my Sandberg TM2 which has two MM sized humbucker spaces in it. I swapped the originals out years ago as i didn't rate them and had a few sets of custom made MM sized single coils made for them as i do prefer the sound and feel of the single coil compared to a bucker, always felt more angry.

I have recently been using my 1989 G&L SB2 over my Sandberg and simply have fallen in love with it and it just sounds and feels so much more alive than the TM2 and i am sure it is because of of the pickups that are in it. 

I want to swap out the MM sized singles for something but just not sure what to try. Does anyone have any suggestions of what bucker to try that maybe sounds a little like a single coil or can be split.  I have used the Nordstrand Bigman before in another bass and that was killer!! i regret having to sell them on but i lost my job and needed money. 

If anyone has any suggestions, i would love to hear them

Cheers 

Will 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will, you've said it above - I haven't found one to touch the Nordstrand Bigman for tone and versatility.  Particularly lends itself to single coil (becomes a "big single") / parallel / series coil switching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll add the SIMS Super Quad to the mix - switchable from Humbucker to Single Coil to Split Coil Precision config, all passively. The system is typically installed with indicator LEDs but they’re not necessary for the system to work. Just install the switch and remember which position means what.

They’ve recently released the Super Quads in different housings to allow them to be installed in basses with MM pickups (like your Sandberg) without modification! I’ve been tempted myself...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for the replies guys, yeah pretty sure i answered my own question with the Nordstrands, always worth to see if i have missed anything though. I will check out the SIMS and see what they are like. 

Keep em coming! 

Nice one

Will 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe contact Martin Herrick of Herrick’s Pickups, I’m sure he’ll be able to assist on this.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Maybe contact Martin Herrick of Herrick’s Pickups, I’m sure he’ll be able to assist on this.

I will do just this! I like the look of his stuff. 

Cheers :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sandberg black labels are very very good and punchy

Haussel do buckers and also a triple bucket in the same sized shell as an MM pick up

Aguilar just brought out a new MM pick up

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Graham said:

Given the love of your SB2, howabout G&L MFD humbuckers?

I have looked into that as id love them but they are a different size to a mm bucker. Not totally sure but don't think it will fit. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, longtimefred said:

I have looked into that as id love them but they are a different size to a mm bucker. Not totally sure but don't think it will fit. 

 

I think you’re right. The MFD pups I’ve seen have all been in different (non-MM style) housings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't advise you much on pickups themselves, but I do have a suggestion arising out of my experiences with a Stingray 5 and a Status Streamline with series/parallel switching on both pickups.

Stingray- Great. Did exactly what you'd expect.

Status Streamline- All over the show. Flick a switch, and the output levels went bananas.

In short, I believe that the Stingray 5 has a resistor  (of differing values) on each of the coil switching options such that the outputs of Series and Parallel taps are reduced to that of the single coil. The volume and 3band EQ then function as normal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I can't advise you much on pickups themselves, but I do have a suggestion arising out of my experiences with a Stingray 5 and a Status Streamline with series/parallel switching on both pickups.

Stingray- Great. Did exactly what you'd expect.

Status Streamline- All over the show. Flick a switch, and the output levels went bananas.

In short, I believe that the Stingray 5 has a resistor  (of differing values) on each of the coil switching options such that the outputs of Series and Parallel taps are reduced to that of the single coil. The volume and 3band EQ then function as normal.

Thanks for that, I will make sure we check that out if I get something that can switch between modes. 

 

Nice one 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...