Why become a member? ×

MM humbucker replacements for my Sandberg

longtimefred

Alright 'chatters! 

My main gigging bass for a good few years has been my Sandberg TM2 which has two MM sized humbucker spaces in it. I swapped the originals out years ago as i didn't rate them and had a few sets of custom made MM sized single coils made for them as i do prefer the sound and feel of the single coil compared to a bucker, always felt more angry.

I have recently been using my 1989 G&L SB2 over my Sandberg and simply have fallen in love with it and it just sounds and feels so much more alive than the TM2 and i am sure it is because of of the pickups that are in it. 

I want to swap out the MM sized singles for something but just not sure what to try. Does anyone have any suggestions of what bucker to try that maybe sounds a little like a single coil or can be split.  I have used the Nordstrand Bigman before in another bass and that was killer!! i regret having to sell them on but i lost my job and needed money. 

If anyone has any suggestions, i would love to hear them

Cheers 

Will 

I’ll add the SIMS Super Quad to the mix - switchable from Humbucker to Single Coil to Split Coil Precision config, all passively. The system is typically installed with indicator LEDs but they’re not necessary for the system to work. Just install the switch and remember which position means what.

They’ve recently released the Super Quads in different housings to allow them to be installed in basses with MM pickups (like your Sandberg) without modification! I’ve been tempted myself...

6 hours ago, longtimefred said:

I have looked into that as id love them but they are a different size to a mm bucker. Not totally sure but don't think it will fit. 

I think you’re right. The MFD pups I’ve seen have all been in different (non-MM style) housings

I can't advise you much on pickups themselves, but I do have a suggestion arising out of my experiences with a Stingray 5 and a Status Streamline with series/parallel switching on both pickups.

Stingray- Great. Did exactly what you'd expect.

Status Streamline- All over the show. Flick a switch, and the output levels went bananas.

In short, I believe that the Stingray 5 has a resistor  (of differing values) on each of the coil switching options such that the outputs of Series and Parallel taps are reduced to that of the single coil. The volume and 3band EQ then function as normal.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I can't advise you much on pickups themselves, but I do have a suggestion arising out of my experiences with a Stingray 5 and a Status Streamline with series/parallel switching on both pickups.

Stingray- Great. Did exactly what you'd expect.

Status Streamline- All over the show. Flick a switch, and the output levels went bananas.

In short, I believe that the Stingray 5 has a resistor  (of differing values) on each of the coil switching options such that the outputs of Series and Parallel taps are reduced to that of the single coil. The volume and 3band EQ then function as normal.

Thanks for that, I will make sure we check that out if I get something that can switch between modes. 

Nice one