Why become a member? ×

Worst and best versions of the same Beatles tunes

Barking Spiders

On 07/09/2019 at 11:37, Shaggy said:

I know Joe Cockers version is generally regarded as a classic, but I absolutely cannot listen to his pained, mannered over-singing - original every time for me with Ringo's understated and endearingly slightly off-key vocals.

this is a cover I always liked, but can't think of a "worst" version -

agreed, in fact I loathe the Cocker version so much I always turn off the radio if I hear it. Dreadfully overrated 'singer' if ever there was. 

On 07/09/2019 at 08:45, Frank Blank said:

I’ve always thought Bowie’s version on Young Americans was a low point on an otherwise excellent album. 

I think it’s truly rotten, and I say that as someone who idolises Bowie and can find many ways in which to defend The Laughing Gnome - though I still haven’t found a way to explain away his ‘interpretations’ of Iggy’s Tonight or the Beach Boys’ God Only Knows!

It’s a shame he just didn’t stick with The Gouster...

Re. Beatles covers, I always liked Shirley Bassey taking on Something. Adding a certain something different to the original, in a positive way, unlike, say, Paul Young when he took on Love Will Tear us Apart!

I like Peter Frampton’s version of While My Guitar... then again I can’t stand Clapton’s woeful wailing on the original (George should’ve played it himself IMO). Joe Cocker (feat. Jimmy Page) is probably the high water mark for almost any cover. 

40 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I loathe the Cocker version so much I always turn off the radio if I hear it. Dreadfully overrated 'singer' if ever there was. 

For me, it’s the whole arrangement and atmosphere, particularly on the live 'Party at the Palace' concert album of 2002 which makes it a classic (IMNSHO!)

17 hours ago, Shaggy said:

+1 :facepalm:

one of those songs that should probably not be covered, especially by PY

Yeah, definitely one of the odder choices of covers I've heard over the years. Probably done with the best of intentions (i.e. he was a fan of the song) but he was always on a hiding to nothing taking that on.

This is good, for fans of this type of thing...

On 09/09/2019 at 10:32, Hobbayne said:

Anyone over a certain age will recognise this from the early 80,s.

In fact, it was hearing this that prompted me to seek out the original Beatles albums.

must admit they did a cracking job, it took me a while to realise it wasn't the Beatles

I like Blackbird from Bobby McFerrin's album The Voice (1984).

Although I listened Beatles quite a lot as a kid (the alternatives in local broadcasting company were obviously limited), they do not represent very interesting music to me. Eleanor Rigby is quite nice from them but also from Stanley Jordan: it is nice to listen to the song every now and then but please not every week.

• 2 weeks later...

I have unfortunately just stumbled across the aforementioned 1988 episode of TOTP with Tiffany murdering ‘I Saw her (him) Standing There’. Absolutely shocking. 😮

That’s got to be my worst.

For the best, I’m still pretty fond of Motley Crue’s Helter Skelter and Aerosmith’s Come Together.