Why become a member? ×

Worst and best versions of the same Beatles tunes

Barking Spiders

BBC4 showed a rerun of a 1988 edition of TOTP last night . It was probably a time when old (and younger) f@rts bemoaned the state of pop. Hardly surprising when the most rock n roll tune on it was Aztec Camera, that's if you don't count Tiffany's dire take on I Saw Her Standing There. She made amends for this by later doing a Playboy shoot., which was very nice actually 😊, as was Belinda Carlisle's. She was also in the show it but I always quite liked her, tunes wise and as an example of fit totty.  But I digress. Just when I thought the Tiffany tune was the worst Beatles cover I've heard , alongside came the aptly named Wet Wet Wet and their p1$$poor of  With A Little Help From My Friends but not helped by Marty Pellow's perma-smirk.  Mind you the most cringe-inducing video of the night was Rod Stewart with some  long forgotten and unlamented thing called  Lost In You. It features a lot his ..errm.  moves. He's also mauled some Beatles tunes but that's his stock in trade of late take some classic 60s pop, Swing or Motown classics and suck the soul out of them.

So, I'll raise you Tiffany for the worst version of I Saw Her Standing There, although cleverly and cunningly she replaces 'him' with 'her'.  Almost as radical a reworking as Money by The Flying Lizards.

For best, is this live rendition by The Tubes

8 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

BBC4 showed a rerun of a 1988 edition of TOTP last night . It was probably a time when old (and younger) f@rts bemoaned the state of pop. Hardly surprising when the most rock n roll tune on it was Aztec Camera, that's if you don't count Tiffany's dire take on I Saw Her Standing There. She made amends for this by later doing a Playboy shoot., which was very nice actually 😊, as was Belinda Carlisle's. She was also in the show it but I always quite liked her, tunes wise and as an example of fit totty.  But I digress. Just when I thought the Tiffany tune was the worst Beatles cover I've heard , alongside came the aptly named Wet Wet Wet and their p1$$poor of  With A Little Help From My Friends but not helped by Marty Pellow's perma-smirk.  Mind you the most cringe-inducing video of the night was Rod Stewart with some  long forgotten and unlamented thing called  Lost In You. It features a lot his ..errm.  moves. He's also mauled some Beatles tunes but that's his stock in trade of late take some classic 60s pop, Swing or Motown classics and suck the soul out of them.

So, I'll raise you Tiffany for the worst version of I Saw Her Standing There, although cleverly and cunningly she replaces 'him' with 'her'.  Almost as radical a reworking as Money by The Flying Lizards.

For best, is this live rendition by The Tubes

Wow re the tubes version it's a cover that sounds like another song (sounds a lot like new rose by the damned)

7 hours ago, Baxlin said:

Another vote for Joe Cocker for best,  but the worst version of 'a little help from my friends'?

Sorry to say, but The Beatles' original.   Sounds like a 'SingalongaMax' treatment (there’s one for the oldies!) in comparison.

I know Joe Cockers version is generally regarded as a classic, but I absolutely cannot listen to his pained, mannered over-singing - original every time for me with Ringo's understated and endearingly slightly off-key vocals.

this is a cover I always liked, but can't think of a "worst" version -

4 hours ago, Shaggy said:

I know Joe Cockers version is generally regarded as a classic, but I absolutely cannot listen to his pained, mannered over-singing - original every time for me with Ringo's understated and endearingly slightly off-key vocals.

this is a cover I always liked, but can't think of a "worst" version -