Why become a member? ×

Bass > Preamp > Compressor > Seemingly endless variables...

Frank Blank

It is getting close to upgrading preamp time. Despite getting a perfectly good tone from my Fishman preamp it is still only a one channel box. After looking at many options the Grace Designs Felix seems to be the best bet because I can have separate channels for my fretted and fretless basses. Thing is that unlike the Fishman the Felix does not have onboard compression so do I..?

a) run the two basses into the separate channels on the Felix and out via a single (blend) channel into a compressor and on into the QSC?

b) run the two basses into the separate channels on the Felix and out via separate channels into a dual channel compressor (if there is such a thing?) and on into the QSC?

c) save myself a lot of cash and buy another Fishman and run each bass into separate preamps and then out into something that will combine the signals so I can run into the QSC?

d) some really obvious solution that I’m too thick to have considered, a small mixing desk, a Helix, something else?

...what would you do with two basses with very different outputs and eq/compression needs that also need to go into a QSC?

How about a graphic EQ pedal? Assuming that you like the fundamental sound of the Fishman on both basses and it's just a tonal change you're looking for it could potentially work out as a cheaper option than those you had proposed in your original post.

For example, set up the Fishman for the fretted bass and have the EQ pedal set up with a sad face (boosting the mids while rolling off the highs and lows) for the fretless). Could that work? 

1 hour ago, Osiris said:

How about a graphic EQ pedal? Assuming that you like the fundamental sound of the Fishman on both basses and it's just a tonal change you're looking for it could potentially work out as a cheaper option than those you had proposed in your original post.

For example, set up the Fishman for the fretted bass and have the EQ pedal set up with a sad face (boosting the mids while rolling off the highs and lows) for the fretless). Could that work? 

I don’t know but it’s certainly worth a try.